Amerks Sign John Wiitala to AHL Contract
(Rochester, NY) - Rochester Americans General Manager Randy Sexton announced today that the team has signed forward John Wiitala to one-year American Hockey League contract for the 2019-20 season.
Wiitala, 24, joins the Amerks after a four-year collegiate career at Ohio State University (Big Ten, NCAA), where he recorded 73 points on (38+35) in 148 career games while being a four-time Ohio State Scholar-Athlete and a three-time member of the Academic All-Big Ten team. During his final season with the Buckeyes in 2018-19, the Lakeville, Minn., native helped the program claim its first Big Ten regular-season title as he registered 17 points (9+8) in 36 contests.
Prior to attending OSU, the 6-foot-0, 178-pound forward played three seasons with the Waterloo Black Hawks (USHL), where he produced 60 points on 28 goals and 32 assists in 167 career games. In his final season with the Black Hawks, Wiitala finished sixth and eighth on the team while establishing career-highs in both goals (13) and points (26), respectively.
Rochester begins its 64th American Hockey League season at home on Friday, Oct. 4 against the Syracuse Crunch at The Blue Cross Arena. Amerks 2019-20 Season Ticket Memberships, which start as low as just $14 per game, are on-sale now. Full-season ticket member benefits include, but are not limited to, Riverside Club VIP Room access with Amerks Alumni, family meet and greet and annual Skate with the Players event, an exclusive preseason Ice Breaker Party and much more. For more information, visit www.amerks.com or call 1-855-GO-AMERKS.
Images from this story
Forward John Wiitala with Ohio State University
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Condors Sign Beau Starrett to AHL Contract - Bakersfield Condors
- Iowa Wild, Manitoba Moose Announce Preseason Games at Ralph Engelstad Arena at University of North Dakota - Iowa Wild
- Moose Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule - Manitoba Moose
- Springfield Thunderbirds Announce 3 Preseason Game Dates - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolf Pack Announce Preseason Schedule - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks Sign John Wiitala to AHL Contract - Rochester Americans
- Devils Sign Forward Ara Nazarian to AHL Deal - Binghamton Devils
- Phantoms Family Fun Returns with Preseason Games - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Announce Four Preseason Games - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.