Allen Americans beat IceRays 6-3
Quick goals, timely scoring and a couple of big breaks proved to be the difference as the Allen Americans beat the Corpus Christi IceRays 6-3 at the Allen Event Center on Friday night. Jarret Lukin had two goals and an assist to lead the Americans in scoring. The IceRays fell to 16-18-6 on the year with the loss, and remained two points back from the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees and the idle Amarillo Gorillas for fifth place in the Southern Conference. The Rays will return home on Sunday at 5:05pm to host the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees on Faith and Family Night. Pre-game festivities including a pre-game concert from the James Roots Band begin at 3:15pm and the doors open at 2:45pm. It's also another installment of the Fine Jewelry Outlet Great Diamond Giveaway where one fan is guaranteed to win a $7,000 diamond at the game. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
The IceRays continued their recent trend of scoring first on an early power play. Kyle Peto ripped a one-timer from the high slot through Chris Whitley at 4:26 to make it 1-0 IceRays. The lead remained for most of the period, but Allen struck twice late to claim the lead. Jordie Benn hit a cutting Mick Berge for an Americans power play goal at 18:45 to tie the score. Just 23 seconds later, the Americans won an offensive zone faceoff and Benn's shot from the left post went past a screened Kris Tebbs to make it 2-1 Allen after one period. Both teams had 11 shots in an evenly played opening period.
The Americans got a big break early in the second period when a Chris Kaufman shot from the right point was juggled by the arm of IceRays defenseman Jason Tessier in the slot and caromed into the net at 2:29 to give the Amerks a 3-1 lead. The IceRays cut the deficit to one when R.G. Flath scored a rebound goal at 9:05 to make it 3-2. But Americans forward Jarret Lukin scored a short-side goal coming out of the left corner to reclaim the two-goal lead for Allen at 13:14. The Americans outshot the IceRays 12-8 in the frame.
The Americans scored early in the third on Lukin's second after a defensive zone turnover by the IceRays. Chad Woollard scored a power play goal at 3:54 to get the IceRays back within a pair, but that's as close as they got. Nino Musitelli scored the final goal at 15:09 to complete the 6-3 win for Allen.
Kris Tebbs (2-4-3) took the loss, making 25 saves on 31 shots. Chris Whitley (20-7-2) earned the win making 23 saves on 26 shots. The IceRays power play went 2-4 and the Americans went 1-7. The IceRays were outshot by the Americans 31-26 in the game.
The IceRays will conclude their four game road trip in Laredo on Saturday. The Rays will return home on Sunday at 5:05pm to host the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees on Faith and Family Night. Pre-game festivities including a pre-game concert from the James Roots Band begin at 3:15pm and the doors open at 2:45pm. It's also another installment of the Fine Jewelry Outlet Great Diamond Giveaway where one fan is guaranteed to win a $7,000 diamond at the game. Simply register for free at FJO in the Sunrise Mall, then attend Sunday's game for your chance to win. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 29, 2010
- Bucked in Laredo, Brahmas drop one 3-1 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mudbugs Sting Killer Bees Again, Win 6-3 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Americans win home debut in blue over Corpus Christi 6-3 - Allen Americans
- Allen Americans beat IceRays 6-3 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Move Into Third, Donate $10,000 - Laredo Bucks
- Eagles Start Road Trip With OT Win - Colorado Eagles
- Sibbald, RiverKings Stop Thunder, Win Fifth Straight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mavericks' Strong Start Fades in 5-2 Loss to Rush - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jacks Win Second Straight Overtime Game, 2-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Sundogs Earn Point in 2-1 Overtime Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Kings Beat Thunder in Tight Contest - Wichita Thunder
- Hanson Activated, Bartolone Placed On 14-Day I.R. - Arizona Sundogs
- IceRays Acquire Kurtis Dulle From Allen - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Watch The IceRays' Friday & Saturday Games For Free - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Jacks Game Notes - Odessa Jackalopes
- RiverKings Face Thunder In Wichita Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Eagles Fans Help Raise Over $8k For Haiti Relief - Colorado Eagles
- Bucks Owner Glenn Hart Joins Bucky On LEC Roof - Laredo Bucks
- Tonight's Game Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Bowers Called Up To Abbotsford Heat - Allen Americans
- Bucky On LEC Roof Until Tonight's Game Is Sold Out - Laredo Bucks
- Shots From The Point For January 29, 2010 - CHL
- Rush Drop Second Straight Shootout, 4-3 - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale