Alec Regula Joins Griffins on ATO
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Grand Rapids Griffins on Tuesday signed defenseman Alec Regula (reh-GOO-lah) to an amateur tryout.
Regula, 18, recently completed his second Ontario Hockey League Season with the London Knights, where he tied for eighth on the team in scoring with 39 points (11-28-39) while placing second with a plus-32 rating and adding 41 penalty minutes in 66 appearances. Among OHL defensemen, Regula tied for 12th in goals and placed ninth in plus-minus rating. He contributed six points (2-4-6) in 11 postseason games as London fell to Guelph in Game 7 of the second round.
Regula was drafted by Detroit in the third round, 67th overall, of the 2018 NHL Entry Draft.
During his first OHL campaign in 2017-18, the 6-foot-4, 207-pound defenseman was named to the circuit's First All-Rookie Team after ranking second among the league's rookie blueliners in scoring with 25 points (7-18-25) in 67 games for London.
Prior to joining London, Regula played for the Chicago Steel in the United States Hockey League in 2016-17, collecting five points (1-4-5) and eight PIM in 53 contests. A native of West Bloomfield, Mich., Regula attended Cranbrook Schools and won a Michigan high school state championship in 2015. Regula's father, Chet, worked as the Red Wings' team dentist for 29 years and currently serves in the same capacity for the Detroit Lions.
The Griffins and Wolves are tied at one game apiece in the best-of-five Central Division Semifinals. Games 3 and 4 will be held at Van Andel Arena on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively, at 7 p.m.
Tickets for Games 3 and 4 of the division semifinals at Van Andel Arena are currently on sale and can be purchased at all Star Tickets locations, including The Zone, online through griffinshockey.com/tickets, by phone through Star Tickets at (800) 585-3737, or via the Griffins app for iPhone or Android.
Images from this story
Defenseman Alec Regula with the London Knights
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 23, 2019
- Admirals Fall in Game Two to Iowa - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Fall to Crunch in Game 3 by 2-1 Final Score - Cleveland Monsters
- Ho-Sang scores first playoff goal in setback; Hershey takes 2-1 series lead - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Push Sound Tigers to the Brink in Game 3 Win - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Take Game 3 over Monsters, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears Sign Forward Andrew Cherniwchan to PTO - Hershey Bears
- Clapperton Nominated for U SPORTS Male Athlete of the Year - Belleville Senators
- Alec Regula Joins Griffins on ATO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Condors Host First-Ever AHL Calder Cup Playoffs Game Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Sound Tigers Try to Regain Series Lead in Game 3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. (Atlantic Division Semifinals - Game 3) - Hershey Bears
- Gulls Double Up San Jose for 2-1 Series Edge - San Diego Gulls
- Gulls Hold off Barracuda 4-2, Take 2-1 Series Lead - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.