Bears Push Sound Tigers to the Brink in Game 3 Win
(Hershey, PA) - Ryan Sproul broke a 1-1 tie in the third period to help the Hershey Bears to a 2-1 win over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in Game 3 of the Atlantic Division Semifinals on Tuesday night at Giant Center. Hershey now leads the best-of-five series, 2-1, and can advance to the Atlantic Division Finals with a win on Thursday night.
The Bears dictated play in the first period with an 18-4 shot advantage, but both teams traded tallies for a 1-1 score at intermission. Liam O'Brien put the Bears in front at the 11:22 mark after blazing to the net along the left wing. Mike Sgarbossa entered the zone through the middle of the ice, and Riley Barber connected with a streaking O'Brien, who beat Sound Tigers goaltender Christopher Gibson low to the ice.
Before the period expired, the Sound Tigers knotted the score on a breakaway goal by Josh Ho-Sang 17:38. The 1-1 deadlock stood until early in the third period, when Bears blueliner Ryan Sproul sent 7,152 fans at Giant Center into a frenzy. At the point, Sproul blasted a shot through a maze of bodies past Gibson to put the Bears on top at the 2:50 mark. Ilya Samsonov put forth a remarkable effort in goal by stopping 26 of 27 shots to capture third-star honors. Final shots on goal were 34-27 Hershey. Special teams for the Bears went 0-for-4 on the man-advantage and 3-for-3 on the kill.
The Hershey Bears can advance to the Atlantic Division Finals and push the Sound Tigers to elimination on Thursday night with a victory. Puck drop at Giant Center for Game 4 is scheduled for 7 p.m. Ticket information is available online at HersheyBears.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 23, 2019
- Admirals Fall in Game Two to Iowa - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Fall to Crunch in Game 3 by 2-1 Final Score - Cleveland Monsters
- Ho-Sang scores first playoff goal in setback; Hershey takes 2-1 series lead - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Push Sound Tigers to the Brink in Game 3 Win - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Take Game 3 over Monsters, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears Sign Forward Andrew Cherniwchan to PTO - Hershey Bears
- Clapperton Nominated for U SPORTS Male Athlete of the Year - Belleville Senators
- Alec Regula Joins Griffins on ATO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Condors Host First-Ever AHL Calder Cup Playoffs Game Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Sound Tigers Try to Regain Series Lead in Game 3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. (Atlantic Division Semifinals - Game 3) - Hershey Bears
- Gulls Double Up San Jose for 2-1 Series Edge - San Diego Gulls
- Gulls Hold off Barracuda 4-2, Take 2-1 Series Lead - San Jose Barracuda