Admirals Sign Forwards Eric Neilson and Cory Conacher
NORFOLK, Va. - The Norfolk Admirals have signed forwards Eric Neilson and Cory Conacher to one-year American Hockey League Standard Player's Contracts, Admirals General Manager Julien BriseBois announced today.
Neilson, 26, is a 6-foot-1, 210-pound right wing from Fredericton, New Brunswick. Last season, he appeared in 33 games for the AHL's San Antonio Rampage, posting one goal, three points and 103 penalty minutes. Neilson has played in 139 career AHL games between the Rampage, Hamilton Bulldogs and Peoria Rivermen, posting five goals and 11 points with 486 penalty minutes. In 2008-09, Neilson led the Rivermen in penalty minutes with 207 PIM in 50 games, ranking 12th in the American Hockey League.
Neilson is known for his community service efforts. He was San Antonio's winner of the IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year Award for his contributions to the San Antonio community during the 2010-11 season. He also won the award with the Bulldogs in 2009-10 and the Rivermen in 2008-09.
Prior to joining the Rivermen, Neilson played 145 ECHL games between the Bakersfield Condors, Long Beach Ice Dogs and Alaska Aces, posting nine goals and 14 points with 414 penalty minutes.
The Los Angeles Kings drafted Neilson in the fifth round (143rd overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. Prior to turning pro, he appeared in 205 junior games with the Rimouski Oceanic of the QMJHL, scoring 19 goals and 73 points with 822 penalty minutes.
Conacher, a 5-foot-8, 180-pound left wing from Burlington, Ontario, made his pro debut last season following the conclusion of his collegiate career at Canisius College. The 21-year-old forward began his pro journey with the AHL's Rochester Americans, posting a goal in two games. He then joined the ECHL's Cincinnati Cyclones, posting seven points in only three games - including a hat trick and a four-point game. Conacher concluded the season with the AHL's Milwaukee Admirals, posting three goals and five points in five regular season games before notching an assist in seven Calder Cup Playoff games.
Conacher recently completed a four-year career at Canisius College, where he led the team in scoring each of the last two seasons. He had a career year in 2010-11, finishing first on the team with 23 goals and 42 points en route to earning Second All-Team Atlantic Hockey accolades. He became just the second player in the program's history to be selected to the all-conference team on two occasions. Conacher also earned First-Team Atlantic Hockey honors and was named the Atlantic Hockey Player of the Year in 2009-10.
Conacher owns the school's records with 147 career points, 62 career goals and 12 game-winning tallies in 129 career games with the Griffs. He owns single-season marks in goals (23), points (53), assists (33) and game-winning tallies (five).
Don't miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your 2011-12 season tickets today. Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime!
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 5, 2011
- Bruins Sign Tardif and Hennessy - Providence Bruins
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Defenseman Bryan Rodney - Syracuse Crunch
- Blackhawks to Host Prospect Camp July 7-11 - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Prospects Invited to Florida Panthers Development Camp - San Antonio Rampage
- Predators Sign Pair - Milwaukee Admirals
- Kings Announce 2011 Development Camp Schedule - Manchester Monarchs
- Aeros Featured on Reality TV Show - Houston Aeros
- AHL Sets Divisional Alignment for 11-12 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Canadiens Sign Goaltender Nathan Lawson - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Defenseman Aaron Johnson - Springfield Falcons
- Wolves Move to Midwest Division as AHL Alters Division Alignment - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Sign Forwards Eric Neilson and Cory Conacher - Norfolk Admirals
- Two New Head Coaches Headline Latest Episode of Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Blues Sign Ben Bishop to One-Year Contract - Peoria Rivermen
- Wild Names Torchetti Aeros New Head Coach - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Re-Sign Forward Matt Fornataro - Norfolk Admirals
- AHL Realignment Approved - Adirondack Phantoms
- AHL Announces Division Alignment for 2011-12 - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Announces New Divisional Alignment and Playoff Format - Peoria Rivermen
- AHL Announces Conference And Divisional Alignment - Oklahoma City Barons
- Amerks to Remain in North Division for 2011-12 AHL Season - Rochester Americans
- AHL Announces Division Alignment for 2011-12 - Providence Bruins
- AHL Announces Re-Alignment and Playoff Format Change - AHL
- Islanders Agree to Terms with Frischmon - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lightning Sign Free Agent Center Trevor Smith - Norfolk Admirals
- Montreal Canadiens Ink Peter Delmas - Hamilton Bulldogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.