Pirates Come Back to Beat Sound Tigers 5-4 in OvertimeApril 16, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) Bridgeport Sound Tigers
Matt Donovan's 14th goal of the season with 4:05 left in regulation gave the Sound Tigers a 4-2 lead.
However, Hextall fired a shot from the slot past Rick DiPietro with 2:43 remaining to cut the Sound Tigers lead in half, and Lessio found the rebound from Brown's shot at the right half-wall with 58.9 left in regulation to tie the score at four.
26 seconds into the extra session, Brown capitalized on a turnover in the Bridgeport zone, gathered the puck in the slot and shot over DiPietro's left shoulder to stun the Sound Tigers and give the Pirates the extra point.
Brown's first goal of the night gave Portland the lead with a power play tally at 9:23 of the first period, but the Sound Tigers answered when Ty Wishart fired a shot from the right slot off of Pirates defenseman Mathieu Brodeur past goaltender Mark Visentin to tie the score at one with 1:58 left in the opening period.
David Ullstrom gave the Sound Tigers the lead just 52 seconds into the middle frame. Ullstrom carried the puck through the left side of the neutral zone, cut to the net and had the rebound of his shot bounce off of his chest and past Visentin for his ninth goal of the year.
Mark Louis evened the game for Portland 2:47 into the third period, firing a shot from the right half-wall off of DiPietro's glove and over the goal line for his first goal of the season.
Nino Niederreiter gave the Sound Tigers a 3-2 lead at 6:04 of the final frame, sending the rebound from Donovan's shot in for his team-leading 28th goal of the season, before Donovan gave the Sound Tigers a two-goal lead and Portland mounted its comeback.
The Sound Tigers return to action this Friday for their final road game of the regular season when they travel to Portland to face the Pirates at the Cumberland County Civic Center at 7:00 p.m.
NOTES: Tonight's game marked just the third time this season the Sound Tigers had lost a game at home when leading after two periods (12-0-2-1) ... Nathan McIver now has 285 penalty minutes, 10 shy of the Sound Tigers single-season record set by Eric Godard in 2004-05 ... The Sound Tigers are five points out of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference with three games to play ... Defenseman Andrey Pedan recorded his first pro point with an assist on Wishart's goal ...The Pirates were 1-for-4 on the power play; The Sound Tigers were 0-for-3.
1. POR: Chris Brown
2. BRI: Matt Donovan
3. POR: Lucas Lessio
American Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2013
- Rampage Fall to Texas in Shootout, 3-2 - San Antonio Rampage
- Sonne, Morin Lead Stars to 3-2 Shootout Win over Rampage - Texas Stars
- Pirates Come Back to Beat Sound Tigers 5-4 in Overtime - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Checkers Stun Rivermen in Overtime - Peoria Rivermen
- Checkers Cap Wild Comeback in Peoria - Charlotte Checkers
- Wolves Rally Falls Short in Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Defeat Oklahoma City 2-1 at Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Pirates Stun Sound Tigers, Snap Streak - Portland Pirates
- FALCONS ANNOUNCE ROSTER MOVES - Springfield Falcons
- Dallas Stars Recall Reilly Smith on Emergency Basis - Texas Stars
- B-Sens Sign Goaltender Scott Greenham to PTO - Binghamton Senators
- Three Return from Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Dallas Stars Assign Radek Faksa to Texas - Texas Stars
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Admirals Release Potential Home Playoff Dates - Norfolk Admirals
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Pulkkinen Joins Griffins, Jarnkrok Returns to Sweden - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Playoff Hockey Is Back - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
- Cantin Reassigned to Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Boston Bruins Assign Jordan Caron to Providence - Providence Bruins
- Manning and Konan Called to Flyers - Adirondack Phantoms
- IceCaps Recall Jake Marto from Eagles - St. John's IceCaps
- Minnesota Wild Assigns Josh Harding to Houston Aeros on Conditioning Assignment - Houston Aeros
- Texas's Willie Desjardins Named Winner of Louis A.R. Pieri Award as Outstanding Coach - AHL
- Ducks Recall Defensemen Jordan Hendry and Sami Vatanen from Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- The Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- Dallas Returns Cristopher Nilstorp to Texas Stars; Robinson to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Stars Weekly (Week 28) - Texas Stars Win First South Division Title - Texas Stars
- Rampage to Host Fan Appreciation Night on Saturday - San Antonio Rampage
- Pirates Look to Snap Streak, Tame Tigers - Portland Pirates
- Merth Joins Penguins on PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Joshua Leivo Signed to ATO - Toronto Marlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.