Aces Top Wranglers 3-1 to Extend Point StreakFebruary 23, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) - Alaska Aces Press Release
Alaska scored the only two goals of the first period, while outshooting Las Vegas 12-5. Jordan Kremyr opened the scoring at 12:59 with a backhand from the bottom of the right circle that was roofed over the left shoulder of Las Vegas goaltender Joe Fallon. The Aces made it 2-0 when Spencer Bennett scored for the fourth straight game on a power play at 19:39.
The second period was played at a wide open pace as Las Vegas pulled a role reversal in shots on goal. The Wranglers outshot the Aces 12-5 in the middle frame, but Mark Guggenberger was terrific in net for Alaska and neither team tallied in the period, despite great chances for both. Alaska retained their 2-0 lead heading into the final period.
Nick Mazzolini extended both the Aces lead and his own personal goal scoring streak to five games when he roofed a backhand over Fallon, off the crossbar and into the net at 5:08 of the third period. Alaska's 3-0 lead stood until 13:12 when Andrew Sarauer spoiled Guggenberger's shutout with his 18th goal of the season. Las Vegas had a chance to get back into the game when B.J. Crum was whistled for a major penalty and game misconduct for boarding at 17:37. Las Vegas pulled their goaltender in search of two goals to extend the game, but Alaska's top-ranked penalty killing unit held the Wranglers scoreless and protected the 3-1 victory.
Mark Guggenberger (21-6-5) made 21 saves on 22 shots for the win. Joe Fallon (19-15-5) made 30 saves on 33 shots in the loss. The Aces went 1-3 on the power play and the Wranglers were 0-4. Alaska outshot Las Vegas 33-22 in the game.
The Aces and Wranglers continue their three-game weekend on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. Tickets are available at the Aces office, Sullivan Arena Box Office, Fred Meyer locations or online at www.ticketmaster.com. All Aces games can be heard on NewsTalk 103.7FM and 750AM KFQD. For more information, please contact the Aces office at 907.258.ACES, or visit them on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/alaskaaceshockey.
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2013
- Short-benched Eagles Top Grizzlies, 5-0; Brown Gets First Pro Shutout - Colorado Eagles
- Colorado Splits Series with Win over Utah; Game 3 Sunday - Utah Grizzlies
- Schultz Ties League Scoring Mark; Wedgewood First Shutout in Titans - Trenton Titans
- Joel Martin Makes 45 Saves in 2-1 Shootout Win for Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Cool Down 'Blades with 5-3 Win - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Knock off Nailers, 3-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Zapolski Records Third-Straight Shutout on Pink in the Rink - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Utilize Pink Power against Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Jackals Downed by the Wings Sellout Crowd of 3,810 Comes Out for Donate Life Night - Elmira Jackals
- Zapolski Powers Stingrays Past Road Warriors - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Sign Forward Jeff Corey - Reading Royals
- Road Warriors Sign Two - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dan DaSilva Loaned to Houston - Ontario Reign
- Ian Keserich Loaned to Binghamton - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign at Bakersfield Condors - Ontario Reign
- Condors vs. Ontario - Cap Giveaway for the First 2,000 Fans 5 & Up - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Titans GameDay vs. Reading, February 23 - Game 55 (Home 29) - Trenton Titans
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- Forward Eric Hunter Recalled to Oklahoma - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls and Steelheads Play Final Game in Idaho - San Francisco Bulls
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Game Preview: 7th Annual Pink in the Rink Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - February 23 - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings at Jackals - Kalamazoo Wings
- Aces Top Wranglers 3-1 to Extend Point Streak - Alaska Aces
- Wranglers Fall 3-1 to Aces - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Reign Keep Thunder Away with 4-2 Win - Ontario Reign
- Thunder ends four game road trip at 2-2-0, returns home Sunday - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Edge Eagles in OT, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Evansville Slips Past 'Blades in 21-Round Shootout; Ties ECHL Record - Florida Everblades
- The Rookie and the Vet Dazzle Big Crowd in 4-0 Win - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.