Thunder Acquires Rights to Veteran LW Shawn Weller from South CarolinaJanuary 25, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) - Stockton Thunder Press Release
"Getting a chance to acquire an elite level forward like Shawn doesn't come around often and was too good to pass up," said Thomas. "Those who had a chance to see him play in Bakersfield a few years ago might remember his speed, willingness to crash the net and ability to finish. Our offense receives a significant boost because of those qualities."
"Along the same lines, this transaction was a tough one to make," Thomas continued. "In the last three seasons, Cameron added character, leadership and a physical presence to our lineup. We wish him the best in South Carolina as he continues his professional development."
Weller, 26, is currently on loan to the St. John's IceCaps of the American Hockey League where he has a +1 rating in three games. Serving as captain of the Stingrays, he registered 15 points and 24 penalty minutes in 24 games this season.
The 6-foot-2 and 205 pound forward has collected 72 points and 30 goals in 80 career ECHL games with South Carolina, Bakersfield and Elmira. He boasted a career high 46 points and 18 goals in just 42 games with Bakersfield in 2009-10, the same season he served the Condors as captain and played in the ECHL All-Star Game with the National Conference.
Weller has also played in 294 career games in the AHL with Binghamton, Abbotsford, Manitoba, St. John's and Texas, notching 44 goals and 87 points. He has added 13 games of postseason experience in the Calder Cup Playoffs with a goal and an assist.
The native of Glens Falls, N.Y. spent three seasons in college at Clarkson University (NCAA) and recorded 78 points (36g-42a) in 109 career games, helping guide the program to the ECAC Tournament championship in 2006-07. He also represented the United States in the 2005 World Junior Championships (Under-20).
Weller was selected by Ottawa Senators in the third round (77th overall) in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.
Brodie, 24, has skated in 142 career games with the Thunder and totaled 26 points and a +3 rating. He made his AHL debut with the Texas Stars last season and skated in three games.
The Thunder returns to play tonight at 7:30 p.m. (1280 AM KWSX/StocktonThunder.com), hosting the Utah Grizzlies at Stockton Arena.
A two time recipient of the ECHL "Award of Excellence," the Thunder led the ECHL in attendance for four consecutive seasons and drew over 200,000 fans for the seventh consecutive season in 2011-12. Season Tickets, Group Tickets and Mini-Plans for 2012-13 are on sale now. For more information about tickets, merchandise, or other inquiries contact the Stockton Thunder offices at (209) 373-1500 or visit www.StocktonThunder.com.
ECHL Stories from January 25, 2013
- Special Teams Help Reign Past Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Titans Gamble WIth Lead, But Send The House Home Happy, Dropping LV In OT, 4-3 - Trenton Titans
- Kalamazoo Defeats Toledo 3-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Gladiators Fall to Solar Bears 4-3 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Goals, Goals, and More Goals Cyclones Beat IceMen 7-3 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Titans Outlast Wranglers in 4-3 OT Win - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Sisca Collects Four Points as Solar Bears Take Down Gladiators 4-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Different Conference, Same Result, as Nailers Win at Home - Wheeling Nailers
- McNeely Nets Two Goals in Loss to Steelheads - South Carolina Stingrays
- Verreault's point streak hits 11, but Condors fall 3-2 in Wheeling - Bakersfield Condors
- Steelheads pick up road win in South Carolina - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Acquires Rights to Veteran LW Shawn Weller from South Carolina - Stockton Thunder
- Stingrays Receive Brodie and Future Considerations from Stockton - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - January 25 - ECHL
- Hang With the Jackals at Buffalo Wild Wings - Elmira Jackals
- Titans Week In Review - Trenton Titans
- ECHL announces fine, suspension - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Komets add Syroczynski to roster; 2010 Playoff MVP returns for third stint - Fort Wayne Komets
- Wranglers Raise $8,030 for Children's Hospital of Nevada at UMC - Las Vegas Wranglers
- 2013 Wheeling Nailers Fans Survey Unveiled - Wheeling Nailers
- Titans GameDay vs. Las Vegas, January 25 - Game 41 (Home 22) - Trenton Titans
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati vs. Evansville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals' Pink In The Rink Almost Sold Out - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Countdown to Face-Off: 01/25 K-Wings at Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gwinnett Gladiators - January 25 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 25 - ECHL
- Bulls Open Three-Game Set Against Aces in Alaska - San Francisco Bulls
- Nestrasil, Parkes and Spady Join Toledo - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Steelheads on Camera Fan Night - South Carolina Stingrays
- Andrew Rowe Returns to Elmira - Elmira Jackals
- Cullity returned to Idaho, Taylor acquired from Trenton - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.