Eagles Sweep Set in San FranciscoDecember 9, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Colorado Eagles
The Eagles & Bulls skated to a scoreless first frame, with Jones stopping all 10 of the San Francisco's shots -- several of which were high quality -- and Thomas Heemskerk stopping all six of the Eagles' shots. Colorado had a golden opportunity to get on the board midway through the period but they were unsuccessful on a full 5-on-3 power play. The Bulls also went 0-for-2 on the man-advantage during the first 20 minutes of play.
The Bulls carried the play during the first half of the second period, but Jones continued his stellar play in net to stymie all of San Francisco's chances. His efforts were aided midway through the frame when Riley Nelson left a drop-pass for Kevin Ulanski as they entered the offensive zone and the latter was able to find the back of the net from the high slot.
San Francisco ratcheted up their pressure even more in the third, but Jones again was exceptional. And midway through the final frame, Chad Costello sent Combs on a rush that saw the winger score from the left circle to make it 2-0.
But with 5:34 left in the period, Colorado defenseman Jake Marto was given a five minute major penalty, giving the Bulls plenty of life, and then Nelson was called for another minor at the tail end of the major penalty, giving the home team a full 5-on-3 advantage as well. Despite all of that, the Eagles nearly killed everything off before a Peter Sivak shot squeaked under Jones' pads as he clamped them shut underneath him, ruining his strong bid at a shutout in the game's final minute. That goal would be countered by a Combs' empty-netter to account for the final margin of 3-1.
ECHL Stories from December 9, 2012
- Thunder outshoots Condors, 45-18 as Greenham earns win in net - Stockton Thunder
- Titans Get Close But Fall to #1 Gwinnett, 4-2; End Southern Swing 0-1-1-1 - Trenton Titans
- Reign Stop Steelheads 5-4 in Overtime - Ontario Reign
- Ontario Edges Idaho in Overtime - Idaho Steelheads
- Gladiators Beat Titans, 4-2 - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Stingrays Bounce Past Road Warriors - Greenville Road Warriors
- Six Different Players Strike as Solar Bears Take Down Komets 6-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Grab Sixth-Straight Victory with 2-1 Win over Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Evansville IceMen Weekly - Evansville IceMen
- ECHL Transactions - December 9 - ECHL
- Condors vs. Stockton - Favorite Football Team Night - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Bakersfield Condors - Stockton Thunder
- Stingrays Add Defenseman Jarret Rush - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs Fort Wayne Komets Today - December 9 - Orlando Solar Bears
- IceMen Weekly Notes - Evansville IceMen
- ECHL Today - December 9 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Visit Road Warriors Today - South Carolina Stingrays
- Aces Rout Grizzlies 8-4 as Rivalry Heightens - Alaska Aces
- Special Teams Wrangle 4-3 Shootout Win for Vegas - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Alaska Takes Round 3, Utah Goes for Split Monday - Utah Grizzlies
- Bulls Fall Short in 3-1 Loss to the Eagles - San Francisco Bulls
- Thunder battles back to force overtime on Maylan goal, Francis leads Las Vegas with two goals - Stockton Thunder
- Titans Fall in SC for Second Straight Night in Extras; Fall 6-5 (SO) - Trenton Titans
- Eagles Sweep Set in San Francisco - Colorado Eagles
- Reign Can't Reel in Steelheads, Fall 3-2 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.