Otters Use Stellar Pitching, Long Ball to Beat River City 3-2August 29, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Evansville Otters
Crim was stellar throughout his appearance, scattering seven hits and an early run.
First baseman Nick Schwaner and centerfielder Matt Sheely provided two of the Otter runs with solo homeruns.
Evansville saw themselves trailing early when River City took the lead in the second inning. Left fielder Jeremy Synan and third baseman Charlie Lisk led off the frame with consecutive singles. With Synan on third, designated hitter Chris Andreas hit a ball off the leg of Crim that caromed towards shortstop Taylor Black. Black made the play to first, but Synan scored to take a 1-0 lead.
The Otters were held hitless through the first two innings by River City starter Justin Sarratt before catcher Billy Killian hit a single to left field with one out in the third inning. Evansville tied the game in the fourth when first baseman Nick Schwaner hit his team-leading 11th homerun of the season.
In the top of the fifth, third baseman Steve Marino worked a lead-off walk. He advanced to third after pitcher Justin Sarratt threw the ball down the right field line on a failed pickoff attempt and scored when first baseman Corey LeVier overthrew third base.
The Otters added a run in the sixth on a solo homerun off the bat of centerfielder Matt Sheely to take a 3-1 lead.
Lefty Patrick Crider replaced Crim in the bottom of the eighth inning. He worked around a lead-off single in the eighth to hold the lead. In the ninth, he walked two batters, allowing right fielder Jason Patton to drive in a run with a single to left. With the tying and winning runs on base, Crider got Synan to fly out to end the game.
Crim earns his fourth win of the season. Crider converts on his third save in as many tries. Surrat gets credit with the loss, his fourth of the season.
The Evansville Otters will now go for the series sweep on Thursday night with right hander Wynn Pelzer (1-3, 4.44) going up against River City's (5-7, 3.19). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. CDT at T.R. Hughes Ballpark.
Frontier League Stories from August 29, 2012
- ThunderBolts Use Offense to Down Lake Erie - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Otters Use Stellar Pitching, Long Ball to Beat River City 3-2 - Evansville Otters
- Rucinski Goes Distance in 9-2 Win - Rockford RiverHawks
- Rascals Strand 11; Otters Win 3-2 - River City Rascals
- CornBelters Fall 10-6 - Normal CornBelters
- Slammers Blanked by Wild Things - Joliet Slammers
- Fourth Inning Blasts Lead Traverse City to Victory - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Grizzlies Drop Middle Game to Beach Bums; Magic Number Is Three - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things Win Third Straight - Washington Wild Things
- August 29 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Schaumburg Boomers Gain Ground Behind Griebling - Schaumburg Boomers
- Harden Pitches Seven in Loss - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters' Offense Erupts in 13-8 Win at River City - Evansville Otters
- Evansville Topples Rascals - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.