T-Bones Rally with Five-Run EighthJuly 24, 2012 - American Association (AA) Kansas City T-Bones
"We had good discipline at bat and made them throw good pitches to get us out," said manager Kenny Hook. "If we put those two together, like we didn't do earlier in the game, I think that's how you get that result. A lot of pressure was on the pitcher in those situations, and at the plate we recognized that and made them work."
St. Paul took an early lead, scoring four in the third. Willie Cabrera hit a three-run double and then scored on a ground out by Ole Sheldon, giving St. Paul a 4-0 lead.
The T-Bones drew within 4-1 when Trevor Coleman led off the bottom of the fourth with a home run, but in the fifth the Saints added two more runs thanks to doubles from Benji Johnson, Cabrera and Sheldon.
Kansas City pulled within 6-2 when Hunter Mense hit a solo home run in the bottom of the sixth. The T-Bones continued their comeback in the seventh. Justin Bass scored on a sacrifice fly by Lee Cruz, and both Ray Sadler and Enrique Cruz hit RBI singles, bringing the T-Bones within 6-5.
T-Bones reliever Sean Toler entered the game with two on and no outs in the eighth inning, and although Sheldon scored on a passed ball, Toler struck out all three batters he faced, minimizing the damage and keeping Kansas City within 7-5.
With one out in the eighth, Brandon Jones tied the game with a two-RBI single, prompting the second pitching change of the inning by St. Paul. A walk of Lee Cruz and an error by Saints third baseman Jose Hernandez loaded the bases, and pitcher Dustin Klabunde walked in the winning run. Enrique Cruz hit a two-RBI single, boosting Kansas City's advantage to 10-7 and capping a five-run inning.
Kansas City (35-29) continues its nine-game home stand on Tuesday with the second game of the series against St. Paul (31-30).
American Association Stories from July 24, 2012
- Fargo-Moorhead Outslugs Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Lemurs Crush Saltdogs - Laredo Lemurs
- RedHawks Beat Pheasants 11-8 for Ninth Straight Home Victory - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- T-Bones Rally with Five-Run Eighth - Kansas City T-Bones
- 'Dogs Comeback Falls Shy as Lemurs Pull Away Late - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts Win in Exciting Ninth - Wichita Wingnuts
- Gary Blanks X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Saints Bullpen Battered by T-Bones in 10-7 Loss - St. Paul Saints
- Saints Sign Veteran Hurler Ruwe - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Lose First All-Canadian Battle to Quebec - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- AirHogs Shut out for Second Straight Day - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Dorado, Bullpen Excellent As Diablos Shut Out Air Hogs - El Paso Diablos
- Krout Throws Four-Hit Shutout in 2-0 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- 'Hogs and AM 660 to hold Military Appreciation Night Thursday - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Pheasants Sign Fowler, Release Casper - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Roberson AA's Batter of the Week - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Anderson Dominates Grand Prairie Again - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.