Fitzgerlad Outduels Gamboa in Sox LossJuly 23, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Bowie Baysox
"The hits were tough to come by, but I thought our swings were good," said Manager Gary Kendall. "[Richmond] made plays - that's a good outfield. That's a big league outfield defensively. It was a good ball game to watch - we kept them off the board except for one run and that's the kind of game you expect when we get together with Richmond."
Baysox right-handed starting pitcher Eddie Gamboa pitched six innings and allowed one run on four hits while striking out three batters and walking two in the loss.
"For the most part I felt great and tried the give the team a chance to win the game and that's all you can do," Gamboa said. "You try to win one pitch at a time every at-bat and you try to keep guys off-balance. I was just trying to pound the strike zone with four different pitches and keep them guessing."
Richmond starter Justin Fitzgerald pitched seven shutout innings, allowing three hits and striking out two batters while walking one in the win.
Richmond broke the scoreless tie with the only run of the game in the top of the sixth inning against Gamboa. Gary Brown hit an infield single to lead off the inning and moved to second base on an Ehire Adrianza sacrifice bunt. Daniel Mayora then doubled to right field to score Brown and give the Flying Squirrels a 1-0 lead.
Left-handed reliever Chris Petrini pitched three scoreless innings behind Gamboa, allowing one hit and striking out three batters while walking one.
LHP Rick Zagone (2-2, 3.48) takes the mound for the Baysox tomorrow as they play the second game in a three game series against the Richmond Flying Squirrels. He will be opposed by LHP Chris Gloor (2-2, 2.09).
The Baysox are home through Wednesday, July 25 for a seven game homestand. The activities include Tailgate Tuesday, July 24 beginning at 7:05 p.m. and Christmas in April Wednesday, July 25 beginning at 7:05 p.m.
Baysox Baseball - We'll Knock Your 'Sox Off. The Baysox 20th season is underway. Parking is free at every Baysox home game and tickets are now available at www.baysox.com, or by calling the Baysox box office at (301) 464-4865.
Eastern League Stories from July 23, 2012
- Hissey Hits Walk Off Home Run in the 11th - Portland Sea Dogs
- Hissey's HR Pushes Portland Past Trenton in 11 - Trenton Thunder
- Santos, Cabrera Homer Curve to Fifth Straight Win - Altoona Curve
- B-Mets Blast Rock Cats in Opener, 8-1 - Binghamton Mets
- Fitzgerlad Outduels Gamboa in Sox Loss - Bowie Baysox
- B-Mets Blast Four Homers to Top Rock Cats - New Britain Rock Cats
- Bocock Steals Home Again in 5-1 Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Wright Stuff Baffles SeaWolves as Aeros Roll, 11-1 - Akron Aeros
- Bats Silent in Series Opener - Erie SeaWolves
- Squirrels Claim Pitcher's Duel in Bowie, 1-0 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Bowie - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- B-Mets Set to Host Workforce Night - Binghamton Mets
- Thunder Release 2013 Schedule - Trenton Thunder
- Local Dairy Farmers to Collect Donations at Altoona Curve Game - Altoona Curve
- B-Mets Game Notes: at New Britain Rock Cats - Binghamton Mets
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 23 vs. Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Hazelbaker Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Portland Sea Dogs
- Chien-Ming Wang Joins the Senators on a Rehab Assignment - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs to Host Naturalization Ceremony on Wednesday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Eastern League Announces Weekly Award Winners - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.