Kannapolis Squashes Grasshoppers on Independence DayJuly 4, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Kannapolis Intimidators
Greensboro started the night off with a small fuse, plating the first run of the ballgame off of a Matt Smith RBI double to right.
The Intimidators joined the show in the third, as a Garis Pena fielders choice brought home Martin Medina after doubling to lead off the inning.
Kannapolis finally started their own fireworks show in the bottom of the sixth inning plating four runs across in the inning to take the lead 5-1. Garis Pena and Keenyn Walker led off the inning both reaching to give Grant Buckner runners in scoring position. Buckner would bring them home on a two-RBI double off the right field wall. Buckner later reached home on a wild pitch. Leighton Pangilinan joined the hit parade doubling to right to score Mark Haddow from second after he was intentionally walked.
Kevin Vance was a spark of his own on the mound in relief of starter Erik Johnson. Vance in relief threw a no-hitter in 4 2/3 of relief striking out four batters. He would have to credit much of his no-hit success to the defense behind him. Andrew Douglas, Joey DeMichele, and Haddow all made outstanding defensive plays to keep that zero for Vance.
Vance would pick up the win his third of the season, while Scott Lyman for Greensboro recorded his second loss of the season.
Martin Medina continues his recent form of success for the Intimidators, extending his hit streak to 12 games.
The Intimidators continue a five-game series against the Grasshoppers on Thursday at 7:05 p.m., as RHP Chris Devenski (4-3, 4.30) squares off against LHP Charlie Lowell (3-3, 4.30). For ticket information, call the box office at (704) 932-3267 or visit www.IntimidatorsBaseball.com .
South Atlantic League Stories from July 4, 2012
- Charleston Holds on to Clip Savannah 3-2 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Asheville Celebrates July 4th in Style; Win 8-4 over Augusta - Asheville Tourists
- 'Dads One-Hit Delmarva, 3-1, Before 5,468 Fans - Hickory Crawdads
- Sparks Lacking in Independence Day Loss - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power Overwhelms Lakewood - West Virginia Power
- Offensive Fireworks for West Virginia in 13-2 Power Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Dogs Edge Gnats on July 4th - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Kannapolis Squashes Grasshoppers on Independence Day - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Braves Tomahawk Chop Drive, 13-6, in Series Opener - Greenville Drive
- Shorebirds Held to One Hit in 3-1 Defeat - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Overcome Late Deficits, Take 3-2 Win over Legends - Lexington Legends
- Suns Earn 50th Win on the Fourth of July - Hagerstown Suns
- RHP Pitcher Ian Marshall Promoted to Lynchburg - Rome Braves
- Major League's Last 30-Game Winner to Appear at Riley Park - Charleston RiverDogs
- Shorebirds Game Notes: at Hickory - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.