Squirrels Beat Aeros 7-5, Take Series 3-1July 3, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Akron Aeros
The Flying Squirrels grabbed an early lead in the first inning for the second night in a row, and never trailed after that point. After Akron tied the game with a run of their own in the first inning, Richmond scored again in the second inning to take a 2-1 lead. The Richmond offense stayed active in the third inning, putting five more runs on the board to take a 7-1 lead. The Aeros added a run in the sixth, and three runs in the eighth but the early deficit proved insurmountable.
Richmond's five-run third inning included a solo home run from Juan Perez and the two-run shot off the bat of Monell. Left fielder Nick Liles led the hit parade for the Squirrels, going 4 for 5 to raise his average to .268. The Squirrels also got multi-hit nights from Tommy Joseph, Ehire Adrianza, and Monell.
Nick Weglarz was the primary force for the Akron offense, as the designated hitter finished the night going 2 for 5 with a home run and two RBI. Weglarz launched his 12th home run of the year to help spark the three-run Aeros eighth inning. Roberto Perez and Matt Lawson also recorded multi-hit nights for Akron.
Richmond starter Chris Gloor pitched 4 2/3 innings, allowing three hits and one run, while striking out six batters. Jake Dunning (2-1) earned the win for the Squirrels, going 2 1/3 innings allowing one unearned run while striking out three. Edwin Quirarte worked the ninth inning to notch his first save of the season.
Brach (3-4) worked four innings for the Aeros, allowing a season-worst 11 hits and seven earned runs. Jose De La Torre came on in relief of Brach and worked three shutout innings, giving up two hits while striking out three batters. All-Star selection Kyle Landis came on after De La Torre and pitched two shutout innings.
The Aeros will hit the road Wednesday and begin a six-game roadtrip at Erie and Bowie before the Eastern League All-Star Break. Wednesday's game will begin at 7:05 PM, and will feature a pitching matchup of RHP Paolo Espino (2-2, 3.51) for Akron and RHP Cesar Carillo (0-0, 2.25) for the SeaWolves. All Aeros games are broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM and online at www.akronaeros.com. For more information, please call the Aeros at 330-253-5151.
Eastern League Stories from July 3, 2012
- B-Mets Snap Skid with Comeback Win, 3-2 - Binghamton Mets
- Gilliam Outstanding in Relief, Senators Win 4-3 in 12 Innings - Harrisburg Senators
- SeaWolves Fall in 12 - Erie SeaWolves
- Squirrels Beat Aeros 7-5, Take Series 3-1 - Akron Aeros
- Squirrels Hold off Aeros for Series Win, 7-5 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Glenn Powers 14-2 Rout of Reading - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Win Streak Halted as B-Mets Steal Finale, 3-2 - Altoona Curve
- Rock Cats Top Bowie In Wild One, 14-7 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Rock Cats Use 10-Run First to Top Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- Three More HRs Lead Thunder to Fourth Straight Win at Portland, 11-3 - Trenton Thunder
- Trenton Launches Portland 11-3 in Series Finale - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Harrisburg Senators - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Gates to Open Early for Big Fourth in Curve, PA - Altoona Curve
- OF Justin Jackson Transferred to Dunedin - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Akron - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Thunder Add Three New Players - Trenton Thunder
- Aeros Place Two on DL - Akron Aeros
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox 20th Season Card Set Giveaway - Bowie Baysox
- Curve Ring in the Fourth with Fireworks, Giveaways, and More - Altoona Curve
- R-Phils Jordan Whatcott Added to Eastern Division Roster - Reading Fightin Phils
- Whatcott Added to Eastern Division Roster - EL
- B-Mets Game Notes: vs. Altoona Curve - Binghamton Mets
- RHP Tim Bascom Transferred to Triple-A Norfolk - Bowie Baysox
- Baysox Host Date Night at the Diamond - Bowie Baysox
- Thunder Sweep Doubleheader from Sea Dogs, 12-4 and 5-3 - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.