CornBelters fall to MinersMay 25, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Normal CornBelters
The fireworks began early and often, as the Miners jumped out to a quick lead. Leadoff batter Darien Sanford singled, swiped second and third base, before scoring on a Chad Maddox sacrifice fly. Miners' hitters continued to produce through the early going, tallying three runs in the 2nd and 3rd innings respectively, and gaining a six run advantage.
The 'Belters would respond with the offense flexing its muscles. Catcher Pat Trettel, designated hitter Robert Brooks, and first baseman Steven Felix all smashed solo home runs, with the latter two coming back-to-back in the 4th inning. Trettel again crossed the plate after a double and a Miner error, cutting the deficit to 7-4.
The visitors would add some breathing room when Jason Ganek scored on a fielder's choice in the 5th and Matt Fields hit his second homer of the night in the 8th, pushing the lead back to 9-4.
Felix again trimmed the deficit back to four when he belted his second home run over the wall in right in the 8th. Southern Illinois would put the game out of reach with five runs in the top of the 9th, four coming on a Maddox grand slam.
The series will continue at the Corn Crib on State Farm Super Saturday with a 3:00 p.m. start time. Elio Briones (0-0, 0.00 ERA) will get his first start for Normal, while Shawn Gilblair (0-0, 1.80 ERA) will take the hill for Southern Illinois.
Fans are encouraged to stick around for the 2nd Annual Rising Star Showcase, presented by S.A.W. Entertainment Events. This event will feature three of the best local bands Illinois has to offer: Shock the Junkie, The New and Slightly Used, and Polarity.
Frontier League Stories from May 25, 2012
- Hawks Lose Home Opener - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Bats' Come Alive in Win against CornBelters - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers tally seven two out hits in 8-2 win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Slammers Win Second Straight - Joliet Slammers
- Otters Fall Short in 3-2 Loss against Frontier League Champs - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Topple Windy City in Home Opener - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Rascals Win Fifth-Straight - River City Rascals
- CornBelters fall to Miners - Normal CornBelters
- Washington drops game to Rascals - Washington Wild Things
- Rippers Open Labatt Park with Win - London Rippers
- Grizzlies Drop Another One-Run Game on Road Trip - Gateway Grizzlies
- RiverHawks Sign Guilford Alum - Rockford RiverHawks
- May 25 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Otters Bring Back Fontenot, Make Trade for Outfielder - Evansville Otters
- Flame-Throwing Shackleford Bids Farewll to Florence, Signed by Mariners - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.