Cubs Offense Handcuffed by DicksonMay 2, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Iowa Cubs
Cubs' starter Casey Coleman (2-3) matched Dickson early as both pitchers were perfect through the first three innings. Adron Chambers led off the bottom of the fourth with a single and went to third when Ryan Jackson's line drive sliced out of the reach of a diving Dave Sappelt in right field for a double. Eugenio Velez followed with a sharp one-hopper up the middle that hit Coleman in the right hamstring. Coleman recovered to get the ball and caught Chambers in a rundown between third and home for the first out of the inning. The staff came out to check on Coleman, who said he could continue, but he had trouble pushing off that right leg and ending up walking Matt Adams and Zach Cox to force in a run.
The Cubs turned to Manny Corpas to try to get out of the inning. Corpas got Bryan Anderson to hit a bouncing ball to Anthony Rizzo at first, but the second hop handcuffed Rizzo a bit. Rather than trying for an inning-ending double play, the Cubs settled for getting Anderson at first at Velez scored to extend the Redbirds' lead to 2-0.
Corpas got Pete Kozma to ground out to end the fourh and then worked through the sixth inning without allowing a run. Jeff Beliveau finished the game on the mound for the Cubs with two scoreless innings and struck out two.
The Cubs got on the board when Luis Valbuena led off the top of the eighth inning with a solo home run to left field. It was his third home run of the season. Dickson would bounce right back to retire the next three batters. The Redbirds brought in Eduardo Sanchez for the ninth and he set the Cubs down in order for his sixth save. Three hits matches a season-low for the Cubs, one night after scoring a season-high 13 runs on 20 hits.
The Cubs and Redbirds wrap up this series tomorrow afternoon at 12:05 at Auto Zone Park. LH Chris Rusin (2-2, 2.63) is scheduled to pitch for the Cubs against RH Brian Broderick (1-4, 5.25) for the Redbirds. The game will be broadcast live on AM 940 with the On-Deck Circle Pre-Game Show starting at 11:45 a.m.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 2, 2012
- Las Vegas Tops Reno, 12-4 - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Clipped by RedHawks, 4-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Rally For Four In Ninth, Win 4-1 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Cubs Offense Handcuffed by Dickson - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express Rally Past New Orleans 10-5 - Round Rock Express
- Express Rally Late to Defeat Zephyrs - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Dickson Pitches 'Birds Past I-Cubs - Memphis Redbirds
- Donaldson Stays Hot, Cats Win 8-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Nashville Downs Omaha in Extra Innings - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Walk off Again over Omaha, Win Fourth Straight - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. New Orleans Zephyrs - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Reno Aces Foundation Dream Week Set for June 25-29 - Reno Aces
- Disastrous Ninth Costs Padres - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers Rally Past Padres In Series Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- 'Topes Outlast 'Hawks, 7-6 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Donaldson Powers Sacramento to 7-1 Victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Enright Shines in 4-3 Aces Win - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.