Crunch Nip Norfolk in Home Finale, 5-4April 9, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Syracuse Crunch
The Crunch wrap up the 2010-11 campaign tomorrow in Hershey against the two-time defending Calder Cup champion Bears at 5 p.m.
Norfolk took control of the game early, but the Crunch had a perfect opportunity to score the game's first goal when Maxime Macenauer was hooked from behind on a breakaway and awarded a penalty shot at the 7:17 mark of the first.
Macenauer slowly skated in and deked to his backhand, then let go of his stick with one hand and tried to slide it by Dustin Tokarski, but Tokarski stayed with it and stuck out his left pad to make the save.
That save gave Norfolk the lift it needed as the Admirals scored the game's first goal just under four minutes later when Paul Szczechura came in down the right wing and a threw a pass to the front of the net that hit off the skate of Nate Guenin and came right to Johan Harju, who punched it past Igor Bobkov to make it a 1-0 game.
After a Troy Milam slashing penalty 2:14 into the second, the Crunch wasted no time on the power play as Rick Schofield won the face-off right back to Kyle Palmieri and Palmieri ripped a wrister inside the right post just three seconds into the man-advantage to tie the game at 1-1.
Alex Berry put Norfolk back in the lead at the 7:39 mark of the second and made it 2-1 when he beat Bobkov through the five-hole after being left alone in the slot.
The Crunch answered back just 14 seconds later to tie the score again at 2-2 after Green came in down the left side, faked a slapshot and slid a perfect pass over to Macenauer who finished the play past the outstretched Tokarski.
Syracuse took its first lead of the game at the 10:05 mark on a beautiful set up between Deschamps and Green off a shorthanded 2-on-1. Deschamps came in down the right side and floated a perfect saucer pass to Green, who quickly moved the puck to his backhand and flipped the on-edge disk over the shoulder of Tokarski for the 3-2 advantage.
Green returned the favor to Deschamps just over two minutes later when he sprung the rookie on a partial breakaway and Deschamps caught Tokarski moving to his left and whipped a shot against the grain off the right post and in to put the Crunch up 4-2.
Norfolk cut it to 4-3 just under seven minutes into the third when Harju jammed in a second effort rebound from the right side of the net.
Four minutes later, the Crunch re-took a two-tally lead on the power play when Patrick Maroon swatted home a loose puck in the crease past Tokarski to make it 5-3.
Mike Vernace got Norfolk back to within one when his slapper from the point found its way through a screen to make it 5-4 with 5:14 left in regulation, but the Crunch held on even after the Admirals pulled Tokarski for the extra attacker.
American Hockey League Stories from April 9, 2011
- Second Place And Home Ice Clinched With Win - Lake Erie Monsters
- 2010-11 IceHogs Team Awards Announced - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Knock Off Griffins 4-2 In Home Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- Bulldogs Defeat Moose 3-1 And Clinch North Division Title - Hamilton Bulldogs
- IceHogs Double up on Griffins, 4-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers get past Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Admirals Stun Rivermen in Regular Season Finale - Peoria Rivermen
- Admirals Capture West Division Crown - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Buried By Bulldogs 3-1 In Last Regular Season Game - Manitoba Moose
- Barons beat Texas - Texas Stars
- B-Sens Display Playoff Intensity With Loss To Phantoms In Season Finale - Binghamton Senators
- Rampage Fall To Wolves 5-3 - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Nip Norfolk in Home Finale, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Whale to Meet Portland in First-round Calder Cup Playoff Series - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Best Rampage, 5-3 - Chicago Wolves
- Special Teams Doom Admirals in Loss at Syracuse - Norfolk Admirals
- More than 11,000 on hand for 6-2 win; Playoffs begin Thursday in Hershey - Charlotte Checkers
- Shootout Loss Spoils TUC Sendoff - Albany Devils
- Matt Read Scores Game-Winner - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Sink Whale 4-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sharks drop season finale 6-2 in Charlotte - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates to Meet Whale in Opening Round - Portland Pirates
- Pirates Shade Devils, Capture Atlantic Division Title - Portland Pirates
- P-Bruins Defeat Falcons 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Moose Announce Year-End Award Winners - Manitoba Moose
- Ottawa Senators Announce Changes to Coaching Staff - Binghamton Senators
- B-Sens Present 2010-11 Player Awards - Binghamton Senators
- Sound Tigers Sign Mike Sgroi to PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Marlies Hand Amerks Fourth Straight Loss - Rochester Americans
- Stars Game Sold Out - Texas Stars
- Klingberg Gets the Call from Atlanta - Chicago Wolves
- Lavin Signs ATO, Rockford's Home Finale Sold Out - Rockford IceHogs
- 2011 Calder Cup Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Texas Stars
- Admirals Sign Ben Ryan to ATO - Milwaukee Admirals
- Gameday Preview - Oklahoma City at Texas - Texas Stars
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Falcons Host Bruins in Home Finale - Springfield Falcons
- Senators Recall Forward Cody Bass from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- B-Sens Single Game Playoff Tickets Set to Go on Sale Monday - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.