Pirates Sink Sharks With Shootout VictoryFebruary 25, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Portland Pirates
Maxime Legault paced the Pirates with a goal and an assist in regulation while Derek Whitmore netted the other Portland goal. The Pirates improved to 34-16-5-2 with the win and ended a three-game winless streak in the process.
T.J. Trevelyan and Benn Ferriero scored for the Sharks, who dropped to 26-21-3-6 on the season.
Legault opened the scoring with the lone goal of the first to give Portland a 1-0 lead after one. Whitmore gave the Pirates a 2-0 lead early in the second but Trevelyan got the home side on the board in the second half of the second to leave the Pirates up 2-1 after two. Ferriero tied in the final minute of regulation with a power-play goal to force overtime and eventually a shootout.
The Sharks out shot the Pirates 46-31 as Enroth posted his 19th win of the season.
The Allied Home Mortgage Three Stars of the Game were 1. Ferriero, 2. Parrish and 3. Enroth.
The Pirates complete weekend action tomorrow (Saturday) night when they travel to Springfield for a 7:30 p.m. showdown with the Falcons. The game can be heard live on 95.5 News Talk WLOB or on-line at www.portlandpirates.com beginning with the pre-game show at 7:15 p.m.
The Pirates will be back in action at the Civic Center on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. as the UNUM Challenge continues against the Worcester Sharks. Fans are encouraged to come to the game right after work and enjoy great food and beverage specials in the Civic Center's Penalty Box Grill, which will open at 4:30 p.m., as well as the following Pirates partners: Portland Pie Company, Rivalries, Gritty's, Nosh Kitchen Bar, Binga's Stadium, Dogfish Café, Walters, and Yosaku. It's also Pirates Date Night presented by WJBQ, WCYY, and WBLM. Visit RiRa Irish Pub or G&R DiMillo's for dinner for two and two tickets to the game for only $19.99. Tickets for the game, as well as each of the remaining Pirates home games, are on sale now by calling 207-775-3458, visiting the Cumberland County Civic Center Box Office or on-line at ticketmaster.com.
American Hockey League Stories from February 25, 2011
- P-Bruins Shutout Heat 4-0 - Providence Bruins
- IceHogs Battle Past Rivermen 4-2 - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Beat Back Monsters, 5-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Beat Devils 5-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Shoot Past Checkers 4-3 - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros Slip By Stars 4-3 In Overtime - Texas Stars
- Taffe's Tallies Help End Rockford's Losing Streak - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Bitten By Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Cullen's Four-point Night Lifts Amerks Over Moose 5-3 - Rochester Americans
- Barons Slip Past Rampage 3-2 - San Antonio Rampage
- Sharks fall to Pirates 3-2 in Shootout - Worcester Sharks
- A Picture's Worth a Monarchs W - Manchester Monarchs
- Checkers Erase Three-goal Deficit, Fall In Shootout - Charlotte Checkers
- Bulldogs Power Past Phantoms 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Bumped by Binghamton, 7-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Cast Away Admirals, 2-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Point Streak Ends at Seven - Adirondack Phantoms
- Pirates Sink Sharks With Shootout Victory - Portland Pirates
- Moose Can't Match Amerks In 5-3 Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Devils Cool Down With Loss At Springfield - Albany Devils
- Monarchs Hang on for 4-3 Win Over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Predators Recall Geoffrion, Halischuk - Milwaukee Admirals
- Ladies Night, Star Wars Night and Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Atlanta Assigns Maxwell to Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Recall MacLean from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Continues - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Reel in Hook for Ticket Staff - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Griffins Welcome Back Mursak - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Host Annual Floor Hockey Clinic - Springfield Falcons
- Oilers Recall Barons Goaltender Martin Gerber - Oklahoma City Barons
- Gustafsson Recalled by Philadelphia - Adirondack Phantoms
- Lightning Recall Goaltender Mike Smith from Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Season Tickets Go on Sale Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Playoff Push Continues - Falcons Host Devils Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Gameday Preview - Texas at Houston - Texas Stars
- B-Sens Reassign Defenseman Brennan Turner to Gwinnett - Binghamton Senators
- Senators Recall Forwards Corey Locke and Roman Wick from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Goaltender Jaroslav Janus Reassigned to Admirals from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Day: Amerks Look to Avoid Sweep Tonight Against Moose - Rochester Americans
- Panthers Recall Trio from Amerks; Reassign Ellerby to Rochester - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.