Nailers Cool Devils; Extend Lead in DivisionJanuary 21, 2011 - ECHL (ECHL) Wheeling Nailers
Trenton scored first on a sniper shot from the circle by Jeremy Akeson. The Nailers responded on the power play, as Dan Henningson pinched up to the slot.and tapped a shot past Trenton goaltender Shane Connelly to tie the game at one after the first period.
In the second, Trenton reclaimed the lead on Brad Miller's backhand shot, which squeezed through the five-hole of Wheeling netminder Patrick Killeen at 3:51 of the period.. Less than three minutes later, Casey Pierro-Zabotel took a feed into the zone and deked to backhand to beat Connelly, tying the game at two. Seconds after killing off a Trenton power play, Wheeling's Kelly Miller exited the penalty box and poked the puck away from a Devils forward, and took off on a 3-on-0 rush. Miller called his own number, deking to the forehand and flipping the puck into the net giving Wheeling its first lead of the contest 3-2.
The Nailers held on defensively in the third as the Devils continued to press in the offensive zone. Wheeling was able to get some breathing room at 15:29 of the period. Mikael Bedard buried home a rebound off a David Marshal shot to propel his squad to a 4-2 lead. The Devils added a third goal on the power play off the stick of captain Trevor Kell. However, the marker came with only one second remaining in regulation, and the Nailers would take the 4-3 victory.
Trenton outshot Wheeling 37-29, and Patrick Killeen earned his 16th win in goal, making 34 saves. Due to call-ups and several injuries, the Nailers entered the weekend shorthanded. The team signed forwards John May and Mike Thomson. May appeared in two games with the Toledo Walleye earlier this year scoring one goal. Thomson logged an assist in tonight's win, and has posted 35 points (12g, 23) in 27 games with the New York Aviators of the Federal Hockey League.
The two teams will meet again tomorrow in Trenton, beginning at 7:00 p.m. Tune into The Mix 97.3, or watch the game on RTV9 courtesy of America One The next Nailers contest at WesBanco Arena is Saturday, January 29, against the Trenton Devils, game time is set for 7:35 p.m. The first 2,000 fans will receive a free Nailers T-shirt. To purchase tickets call (304) 234-GOAL.
ECHL Stories from January 21, 2011
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condors Fall to Wranglers, 5-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Jackals Sunk Late by Walleye, 4-3 - Elmira Jackals
- Royals Slip Down the Stretch in Shootout Loss, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Top Grizzlies, 2-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Shorthanded Grizzlies Fall 2-1 in Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Blades Overcome Third Period Deficit to Pull off 4-3 Shootout Win Over Reading - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Cool Devils; Extend Lead in Division - Wheeling Nailers
- Kalamazoo's Special Teams Difference in 4-2 Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Fly Past Cyclones, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Sink Road Warriors 5-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Road Warriors Stung by 'Rays - Greenville Road Warriors
- Walleye Beat Elmira 4-3 on Friday Night - Toledo Walleye
- "Entourage" Star Kevin Connolly to Appear at ECHL All-Star Classic - Bakersfield Condors
- Salmon Kings Auctioning off "Think Pink and See Elston" at the Rink Package - Victoria Salmon Kings
- ECHL Transactions - January 21 - ECHL
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira at Toledo - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Ontario Reign - Stockton Thunder
- Jackals Announce Pregame Transactions - Elmira Jackals
- This Sunday's Reign Game Is Red Cross Jersey Night - Ontario Reign
- Graham Reassigned to Blades from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- Jordan Pearce Headed to Motown - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Today - January 21 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL All-Star Classic on TV and Radio in Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Hamilton Recalls Urquhart and Masse - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: Cincinnati Vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Gameday: Battle of the Palmetto State Continues Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Celebrate Pink in the Rink with the Road Warriors - Greenville Road Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.