Kalamazoo's Special Teams Difference in 4-2 VictoryJanuary 21, 2011 - ECHL (ECHL) Kalamazoo Wings
Trying to play the puck behind his own net, Ryan Nie lost the puck to Chase Watson, who was making his Cyclones debut after being traded earlier in the week from the Trenton Devils. Watson tossed a pass in front to Jon Higgins (1st), who was also making his Cincinnati debut, to score into the empty-net 5:19 into the contest.
Kalamazoo responded with a pair of tallies late in the period. Darryl Lloyd tied the game at 1-1 with his fifth goal of the season with a left circle slap shot at the 15:19 mark of the stanza.
Andrew Fournier, who earned an assist on the Lloyd goal, gave the K-Wings the lead less than two minutes later with his team-leading 8th goal of the power-play. Fournier's wrister from the right circle also pushed his team-leading goal total to 18.
Continuing to utilize the second-best power-play in the league, the K-Wings lengthen their lead in the second period. Kalamazoo pushed their advantage to 3-1 with marker from Patrick Asselin (13th), who has scored over half of his goals this season on the power-play (7).
Later in the period, Kalamazoo needed only five seconds of a four-on-three power-play to extend their lead to three goals, when Sam Ftorek (5th) ripped a left circle slap shot past Marc Cheverie for the K-Wings third power-play goal of the game.
Cincinnati tried to creep back late in the third period with a goal from Barrett Ehgoetz (8th), but it wouldn't be enough, as the K-Wings closed the gap between them and the Cyclones to a single point for second place in the North Division.
Kalamazoo and Cincinnati will conclude their home-and-home series tomorrow, Saturday, January 22nd with a 7:30 p.m. encounter at the U.S. Bank Arena.
The K-Wings will close out their four-game week versus the Elmira Jackals this Sunday, January 23rd with a 4 p.m. face-off at Wings Stadium. Sunday's game will be a Family Hockey Day in the 'ZOO, featuring the zany and world famous ZOOperstars! During all Sunday games, all kids eat FREE and the first 500 kids will receive an inflatable megaphone courtesy of Kalsee Credit Union.
Catch all the K-Wings games, home and away, on the K-Wings Radio Network (95.9 FM WLKM & on kwings.com). Join the "Voice of the K-Wings" Mike Modugno for all 72 regular season games plus the playoffs. Pre-game coverage begins with the Kalsee Credit Union Pre-Game Show 15 minutes prior to face-off. For the most complete coverage of the K-Wings from the opening face-off to the final buzzer and the Discover Kalamazoo Post-Game Show, keep your radio tuned this season to the K-Wings Radio Network.
Single game tickets for the 2010-2011 season are on sale at the Wings Stadium Ticket Office, Ticketmaster Outlets, including www.ticketmaster.com, Ticket Office hours are Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-6 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m.-2 p.m. For more information, please call Wings Stadium Ticket Office during regular business hours at (269) 345-5101.
Tickets for all K-Wings home games are on sale now and range in price from $9.90-$14.90 for adults and only $6.90 for kids ages 12 and under. The ticket prices for all K-Wings premium night games (all colored ice games and New Year's Eve game) are just $1 more.
Fans can save money by purchasing K-Wings single game tickets advance because on the day of a game, K-Wings tickets are $1 more.
ECHL Stories from January 21, 2011
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condors Fall to Wranglers, 5-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Jackals Sunk Late by Walleye, 4-3 - Elmira Jackals
- Royals Slip Down the Stretch in Shootout Loss, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Top Grizzlies, 2-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Shorthanded Grizzlies Fall 2-1 in Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Blades Overcome Third Period Deficit to Pull off 4-3 Shootout Win Over Reading - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Cool Devils; Extend Lead in Division - Wheeling Nailers
- Kalamazoo's Special Teams Difference in 4-2 Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Fly Past Cyclones, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Sink Road Warriors 5-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Road Warriors Stung by 'Rays - Greenville Road Warriors
- Walleye Beat Elmira 4-3 on Friday Night - Toledo Walleye
- "Entourage" Star Kevin Connolly to Appear at ECHL All-Star Classic - Bakersfield Condors
- Salmon Kings Auctioning off "Think Pink and See Elston" at the Rink Package - Victoria Salmon Kings
- ECHL Transactions - January 21 - ECHL
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira at Toledo - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Ontario Reign - Stockton Thunder
- Jackals Announce Pregame Transactions - Elmira Jackals
- This Sunday's Reign Game Is Red Cross Jersey Night - Ontario Reign
- Graham Reassigned to Blades from Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- Jordan Pearce Headed to Motown - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Today - January 21 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL All-Star Classic on TV and Radio in Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Hamilton Recalls Urquhart and Masse - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: Cincinnati Vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Gameday: Battle of the Palmetto State Continues Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Celebrate Pink in the Rink with the Road Warriors - Greenville Road Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.