Amerks Honor Fitzpatrick, Ellerby At Player Of The Month LunchApril 1, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Rochester Americans
Ellerby notched three goals and assisted on three others for six points in 13 games for the Amerks in the month of March. The former first-round pick of the Florida Panthers has three goals and 17 assists in 69 games. The rookie defenseman was surprised by the award.
"It's awesome. I just found out right before lunch," said Ellerby. "It's an honor to win it."
Ellerby was joined at the lunch by teammates Michael Duco, Drew Larman, Jordan Henry and Fitzpatrick. Amerks President Lewis Staats, General Manager Jody Gage, Head Coach Benoit Groulx, Assistant Coach Jason Cipolla also attended the event in Pittsford.
The luncheon ended with the recognition of hometown boy Rory Fitzpatrick by the Amerks, VP of Morgan Stanley Richard Spencer and Sheriff Patrick O'Flynn.
"The Man of the Year criteria for the American Hockey League combines a number of things, but the key things are leadership and community involvement," said Staats. "I think he epitomized that in what he brought to the organization."
The 14-year pro returned to his native Rochester and is currently in his third season with his hometown Amerks. When he is not leading his team on the ice, the Amerks captain can be found actively involved in the Greater Rochester community. Fitzpatrick has affiliated himself with countless charitable fundraisers throughout the season, but perhaps the most significant of them all was when he and the rest of his teammates helped raise nearly $45,000 at the 19th annual Celebrity Waiter Dinner for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation of Rochester.
"It's a big honor. To me it's important because it shows what type of person you are and obviously with Rochester being my hometown, I have a strong bond with the community," said Fitzpatrick about the award. "I am very proud to be from Rochester and do whatever I can for the community."
Fitzpatrick also helped kickoff the third season of the Amerks' Reading Power Play program, an educational program that places a heavy emphasis on literacy, the importance of reading and education. He was extensively involved in his own time with Rochester's local D.A.R.E. program where he served as an ambassador and spoke at schools in his hometown of Irondequoit about the dangers of drug abuse.
During the summer months, in addition to several weeks in-season, Fitzpatrick serves as a special guest instructor at the Amerks' youth hockey camps. The camp, hosted by Amerks assistant coach Jason Cipolla, gives kids the opportunity to be taught the fundamentals of hockey by some of their favorite Amerks players.
This season, Fitzpatrick launched the "Friends of Fitzy" campaign, a program designed to offer donated tickets to charities and nonprofit organizations for any game throughout the season. The father of four also spends countless hours at Lakeshore Hockey Arena, where he assists his kids' teams with on-ice instruction.
In recognition of his efforts, Fitzpatrick will be presented with an etched crystal trophy during an on-ice presentation prior to an upcoming Amerks home game.
Fitzpatrick is now one of 29 finalists for the AHL's 2008-09 Yanick Dupre Memorial Award, honoring the overall American Specialty/AHL Man of the Year. The league award is named after the former Hershey Bears forward and AHL All-Star who died in 1997 following a 16-month battle with leukemia. The winner of the Yanick Dupre Memorial Award will be announced by the American Hockey League in the coming weeks.
American Hockey League Stories from April 1, 2009
- Four straight by Rockford too much for Monsters - Lake Erie Monsters
- Manny Legace Pitches 3-0 Shutout Over Chicago - Peoria Rivermen
- Falcons Conclude Home Schedule With OT Loss - Springfield Falcons
- Sens snag point in shootout loss to Penuins - Binghamton Senators
- No Foolin' - Phantoms Win Again - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolf Pack top Pirates, 5-3 - Connecticut Whale
- Hickey Picks Up Two In His Pro Debut - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames top west division champs - Abbotsford Heat
- Devils Edged In Shootout By Monarchs, 3-2 - Albany Devils
- Kowalski is a Bear Killer as Admirals Top Hershey 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Sharks Win 3-2 OT Thriller, Earn Share Of Third - Worcester Sharks
- IceHogs spread the wealth in 5-2 win - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolf Pack Tops Pirates 5-3 - Portland Pirates
- Phantoms Rally For 6-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Boychuk Named CCM AHL Co-Player of the Month - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Announce Details of Time Warner Cable Mini War Memorial Giveaway - Syracuse Crunch
- Flames Assign Defenceman John Negrin To The American Hockey League - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Sign Forward John Swanson to Tryout - Norfolk Admirals
- Justin Fletcher Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - Peoria Rivermen
- Amerks Honor Fitzpatrick, Ellerby At Player Of The Month Lunch - Rochester Americans
- Aeros host Pet Pals Thursday night, fans can bring their dog to the game - Houston Aeros
- Kennedy and Gerbe Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Portland Pirates
- Defenseman Mattias Karlsson Named To 2008-09 All-Rookie Team - Binghamton Senators
- Yannick Weber Named To 2008-2009 All-Rookie Team - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Abdelkader Named to AHL All-Rookie Team - Grand Rapids Griffins
- 2008-09 AHL All-Rookie Team announced - AHL
- Crunch Sign Forward Tim Miller - Syracuse Crunch
- Ben Maxwell Named Reebok Edge/AHL Rookie of the Month - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bernier Named AHL's Goaltender Of The Month - Manchester Monarchs
- Rivermen's Fletcher, Bruins' Boychuk named co-winners of CCM/AHL Player of the Month - AHL
- Monarchs' Bernier named Reebok X-Pulse/AHL Goaltender of the Month - AHL
- Bulldogs' Maxwell named Reebok Edge/AHL Rookie of the Month - AHL
- Veteran Winger Christian Signs with IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- With Two Weeks Left, Playoff Berth Getting Closer - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Worcester Sharks "Be a Leader" program stops in Holden - Worcester Sharks
- Columbus Recalls Nikita Filatov - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose release St. Croix from PTO - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.