Hill returns to form as Curve blank first-place Bowie, 5-0May 27, 2008 - Eastern League (EL) Altoona Curve
The shutout win is the Curve's first of the season and just the seventh overall victory in the club's last 28 games.
Hill (4-5) had lost each of his last three decisions entering Tuesday's start, but turned in a solid performance to earn his team-leading fourth victory. The Australian-born right-hander scattered just three hits, walked two and struck out three.
Bresnehan, pitching in his second game since being activated from the Curve's Disabled List last Saturday, worked a scoreless seventh inning, while Meek tossed the final two frames to close out the win.
Altoona touched up Bowie starter Brad Bergesen for five runs, including three runs in the top of the first inning, to hand the right-hander his first Double-A loss after winning his first five decisions for the Baysox. Bergesen (5-1) surrendered nine of Altoona's 11 hits in the contest.
The Curve's three-run first was highlighted by a Brad Corley RBI double, which scored Melvin Dorta and gave Altoona a 1-0 lead. Jason Delaney and Anthony Webster followed with fielder's choice RBI's to improve the lead to 3-0.
Delaney added to the Curve advantage in the third, when he drilled an opposite-field solo homer over the right-center field wall. The longball was Delaney's fifth of the season, all of which have been hit on the road.
Webster capped the Curve scoring with an RBI single in the fifth, which brought home Corley.
The trio of Corley (3-for-4, RBI), Delaney (2-for-4, 2 RBI) and Webster (2-for-4, 2 RBI) knocked in all five runs and combined for seven of the Curve's 11 hits.
With the win, Altoona improves to 17-31 on the season, while the E.L. South-leading Baysox drop to 32-20.
Game two of the three-game series between the Curve and Baysox will be played Wednesday evening at Prince George's Stadium in Bowie. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. as Altoona left-hander Corey Hamman (0-5, 4.08) opposes Bowie righty David Hernandez (4-0, 2.98).
Eastern League Stories from May 27, 2008
- Baysox Can't Surmount Hill - Bowie Baysox
- Senators split two with Akron - Harrisburg Senators
- Hill returns to form as Curve blank first-place Bowie, 5-0 - Altoona Curve
- Conneticut tops New Britain - New Britain Rock Cats
- Defenders Win 6-4 - Connecticut Defenders
- Fans may exchange tickets to Tuesday's Thunder game - Trenton Thunder
- Four in ninth inning lifts Fisher Cats to win in Trenton - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Kown Dominates in Erie Win - Erie SeaWolves
- Portland Takes Series Opener - Binghamton Mets
- Bubb's big night beats Binghamton, 6-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- New Britain Starts 5th Homestand of 2008 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Rock Cats send infielder to AAA Rochester - New Britain Rock Cats
- Aeros Notes - Akron Aeros
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Reading Phillies Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Reading Military Recognition Night this Saturday - Reading Fightin Phils
- Akron Aeros Roster Move - Akron Aeros
- Aceves Named EL Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Bank of America Pitcher-Player of the Week Awards Week Ending May 25th - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.