Worcester Sharks Captain Ryan Vesce named AHL All-Star for PlanetUSA
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today the PlanetUSA AHL All-Star team roster for the 2009 AHL All-Star Classic presented by Charter Communications, to be played later this month at the DCU Center in Worcester, Mass.
The team comprises 24 players - 13 forwards, eight defensemen and three goaltenders - born outside of Canada; the Canadian team was announced on Tuesday (release). AHL fans determined the starting lineups via on-line balloting at theahl.com, while a committee of AHL coaches selected the remainder of the rosters. All 29 AHL teams are represented by at least one All-Star.
Among the members of the PlanetUSA team are 19 first-time AHL All-Stars, including rookies Nikita Filatov of the Syracuse Crunch, Bobby Sanguinetti of the Hartford Wolf Pack, Jonas Junland of the Peoria Rivermen, Yannick Weber of the Hamilton Bulldogs, Mattias Karlsson of the Binghamton Senators, Jeff Frazee of the Lowell Devils and Nathan Gerbe and Tim Kennedy of the Portland Pirates. Hershey Bears forward Keith Aucoin has been selected to his fourth consecutive AHL All-Star Classic, and PlanetUSA captain Rory Fitzpatrick of the Rochester Americans will be making his third All-Star appearance and his first since 1998.
Because the Chicago Wolves won the Calder Cup championship in 2008, their current staff of head coach Don Granato and assistants Jason Christie and Wendell Young will serve as the coaches for the PlanetUSA team. John Anderson was promoted to the Atlanta Thrashers after guiding the Wolves to the title last spring.
The 2009 AHL All-Star Classic presented by Charter Communications will feature the top young talent in the American Hockey League competing in the 2009 AHL All-Star Skills Competition on Sunday, January 25 (4:00 p.m. ET), and the 2009 AHL All-Star Game on Monday, January 26 (7:00 p.m. ET). The event will be televised nationally in the United States and Canada.
Of the 455 players to take part in the AHL All-Star Classic since 1995, more than 94 percent have competed in the National Hockey League, including Patrice Bergeron, Brad Boyes, Dan Boyle, Brian Campbell, Zdeno Chara, Rick DiPietro, Jiri Hudler, Miikka Kiprusoff, Kari Lehtonen, Ryan Miller, Zach Parise, Martin St. Louis, Jason Spezza, Eric Staal and Tomas Vokoun.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 7, 2009
- Wolf Pack Lose to Moose in OT - Connecticut Whale
- Moose Shock Wolf Pack in OT, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Rampage Power Past Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers Beat Aeros in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Iowa Wins Defensive Battle With Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Stave Off IceHogs in Shootout, 6-5 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Top Chicago 5-3 on Wednesday - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Fall to Bears 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Houston's Dramatic Finish Earns a Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss in Bridgeport - Houston Aeros
- Monarchs Bear Down On Bruins - Manchester Monarchs
- Chops Move Into Sole Possession of 2nd Place with Big 3-1 Win - Iowa Chops
- Hogs Battle Back in Grand Rapids, Fall in Shootout - Rockford IceHogs
- Devils Come From Behind to Sink Pirates, 3-2 - Albany Devils
- 2009 Great Skate Winterfest at Rosa Parks Circle This Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- P-Bruins Fall To Monarchs in Overtime 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Coyotes Recall Murray from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Devils Rally Past Pirates 3-2 - Portland Pirates
- Sifers Named To PlanetUSA Team - Toronto Marlies
- Milwaukee Admirals Go for 11th Straight Home Win Thursday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Bring Back Gherson - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Players to Sign Autographs at Papa John's - Syracuse Crunch
- Ottawa Recalls Defenseman Matt Carkner - Binghamton Senators
- Kontiola Named All-Star; Hogs face Griffins Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Jonas Junland Named to All-Star Team - Peoria Rivermen
- Nikita Filatov Named to PlanetUSA Starting Lineup for 2009 AHL All-Star Classic - Syracuse Crunch
- Donate to Goodwill Night, Get Pirates Tickets - Portland Pirates
- Schneider named starting goalie for PlanetUSA in 2009 AHL All-Star Classic - Manitoba Moose
- Devils' Frazee Named to AHL All-Star Team - Albany Devils
- Gerbe, Kennedy Named to PlanetUSA AHL All-Star Roster - Portland Pirates
- Mattias Karlsson selected to PlanetUSA AHL All-Star team - Binghamton Senators
- Wolf Pack's Sanguinetti Headed to AHL All-Star Classic - Connecticut Whale
- Albany's Michael Ryan Named To AHL All-Star Classic - Albany River Rats
- Wolves Motzko Selected to AHL PlanetUSA All-Star Team - Chicago Wolves
- Ryan Potulny To Represent Falcons At 2009 All-Star Game In Worcester - Springfield Falcons
- Worcester Sharks Captain Ryan Vesce named AHL All-Star for PlanetUSA - Worcester Sharks
- Bulldogs Yannick Weber Named Starter for 2009 PlanetUSA AHL All-Star team - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Kindl and Larsson Named to PlanetUSA AHL All-Star Team - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Taffe, Lovejoy Named to PlanetUSA AHL All-Star Team - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- 2009 PlanetUSA AHL All-Star Team announced - AHL
- Moose announce "Mike Keane Bobblehead" Night - Manitoba Moose
- Aeros reach halfway point, face Bridgeport tonight at 6 p.m. CST - Houston Aeros
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Columbus Recalls Center Nikita Filatov - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Entertain IceHogs Tonight - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.