Woodies Even Series Behind Strong Start From Latz
Woodbridge, Va. - The Down East Wood Ducks took the lead in the first inning, and held it to the finish line, defeating the Potomac Nationals, 3-1, Tuesday.
The Wood Ducks (28-11) are now a league-best 17-2 on the road this season, as they even the four game series at a game apiece.
Down East took the lead immediately. Yonny Hernandez walked to begin the ballgame, and then Leody Taveras reached on an error one batter later. Ryan Dorow then walked with two away, as did Disobel Arias, forcing home a run. Andrew Lee (loss, 1-2), threw 35 pitches in the inning, but got Sam Huff to ground into a double play to end the frame, and keep the damage to just one run.
Hernandez has now reached base safely in 24 straight games, while Dorow has reached safely in each of his last 17.
Lee worked five innings allowing two runs (one earned), on four hits, walked one, and struck out six.
The other run he surrendered came in the fourth. Arias doubled with one out and two-batters later Yohel Pozo lined a double off the wall in left, to increase the lead to 2-0.
Jake Latz (win, 1-1) was excellent in his start for the Woodies. He gave up just one unearned run in five innings, allowing three hits, and striking out five, including twice fanning Trea Turner who was on a MLB rehab assignment. He did not walk a batter, and faced the minimum through his first four innings.
The lone run he allowed came in the fifth. KJ Harrison led off with a single to left, and Nick Banks followed with a single back up the middle. Telmito Agustin then tried to bunt both men into scoring position, Latz fielded the bunt attempt but threw high to third, trying to get the lead runner, as Harrison scored to make it 2-1. Latz would bounce back nicely, getting two strikeouts and a groundout to strand the tying and go-ahead runners on base.
The Woodies plated an insurance run in the eighth. Taveras laced a triple off the wall in right, and then one batter later Tejeda lifted the first pitch he saw to left, bringing home Taveras with a sac fly to make it 3-1.
Michael Matuella tossed a scoreless inning in relief, and Josh Advocate followed with 1.2 scoreless. With the tying run at the plate in the eighth, Corey Ragsdale summoned Joe Barlow (save, 3) who punched out the final four batters of the ballgame to record the save.
Game three of the four game set will be played tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. The Woodies will send righty Reid Anderson (2-0, 2.05) to the mound, to face off with Nationals right-hander Melvin Perez (2-2, 7.18) The broadcast will begin at 6:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull, and online on 960thebull.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Radio Apps.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Winston Drops Fifth Straight in Tuesday's Loss at Myrtle - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys and Blue Rocks Split Twinbill - Frederick Keys
- Lynchburg Falls to Carolina in Extra-Innings Thriller - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Balego, Mitchell Homer in Birds' Fifth-Straight Home Win - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodies Even Series Behind Strong Start From Latz - Down East Wood Ducks
- Offense Goes Quiet in 3-1 Loss to Down East - Potomac Nationals
- Walk-Off Homer by Melendez Gets Rocks Doubleheader Split - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- May 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (May 14 at Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- May 14 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Hillcats to Host Cats Cares Night on May 25 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Former Mudcats Infielder Keston Hiura Earns Call to the Brewers - Carolina Mudcats
- Trea Turner to Begin Rehab Assignment with Potomac Tuesday Night - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Down East Wood Ducks Unveil New Copa de la Diversion Identity for 2020 Season
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year
- Down East Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Schedule
- Fayetteville Uses Four Run Seventh To Advance To Championship
- September 8 Game Information