Trea Turner to Begin Rehab Assignment with Potomac Tuesday Night
Woodbridge, VA - The Washington Nationals have assigned SS Trea Turner to the Potomac Nationals, where he will begin a rehabilitation assignment. The Nationals' starting shortstop will join the P-Nats on Tuesday night, as they face the Carolina League's current top team, the Down East Wood Ducks (Texas Rangers). The length of Turner's rehab assignments is to be determined. First pitch Tuesday night is scheduled for 7:05pm.
The 25-year-old Turner was placed on the 10-Day Injured List with a fractured right index finger on April 3rd, and Tuesday night will mark his first action since then.
Turner got off to a quick start for Washington in 2019, as he tallied five hits and scored four times in his first four games. The 2016 NL ROY runner up played every game for Washington in 2018, as Turner hit .271 with a league-best 43 stolen bases in 162 games last season. In 2018, Turner set career highs in games played, at-bats, runs scored, hits, doubles, home runs, and RBIs.
Acquired in December of 2014, Turner was the PTBNL in a deal between the Nationals, San Diego Padres, and Tampa Bay Rays. Turner joined RHP Joe Ross in the move from San Diego to Washington. The Nationals traded OF Steven Souza to the Rays, while OF Wil Myers was the primary player that moved from Tampa Bay to San Diego.
A first round pick, 13th overall by the Padres in the 2014 MLB Draft, Turner made his Major League debut with the Nationals on 8/21/15 vs. the Milwaukee Brewers. Splitting time between the infield and outfield for the Nationals in 2016, Turner finished second in the National League Rookie of the Year race to Los Angeles Dodgers SS Corey Seager. In 168 career games with the Nationals, Turner has hit .306, tallied 21 home runs, driven in 73, and stolen 70 bases.
Turner played four games with Potomac on rehab back in 2017. In his first ever games at the Carolina League level, Turner went 2-12 with a double and an RBI.
First pitch between Potomac and Down East on Tuesday night at Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium is set for 7:05pm.
The Potomac Nationals of the Carolina League play at Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge, Virginia, and are the Carolina League affiliate of the Washington Nationals. The Potomac Nationals have claimed five Carolina League Championship titles (1982, 1989, 2008, 2010, and 2014) and 10 CL Northern Division Championships. Sponsorship opportunities for the P-Nats' 2019 season and beyond are available, as well as all-inclusive corporate picnic outings to watch the future stars of the Washington Nationals at The Pfitz. 2019 Potomac Nationals season tickets are now on sale, while mini plans will be available soon. For more information on Potomac Nationals 2019 season tickets, mini plans, group outings, picnic packages, fundraisers, and all things Red, White, and Blue, visit the P-Nats online at www.potomacnationals.com, follow the P-Nats on Facebook (@PotomacNationals), Twitter (@PNats42), and Instagram (@pnats42), or call the Potomac Nationals' Extreme Custom Collision Ticket Office at 703-590-2311.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Winston Drops Fifth Straight in Tuesday's Loss at Myrtle - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys and Blue Rocks Split Twinbill - Frederick Keys
- Lynchburg Falls to Carolina in Extra-Innings Thriller - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Balego, Mitchell Homer in Birds' Fifth-Straight Home Win - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodies Even Series Behind Strong Start From Latz - Down East Wood Ducks
- Offense Goes Quiet in 3-1 Loss to Down East - Potomac Nationals
- Walk-Off Homer by Melendez Gets Rocks Doubleheader Split - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- May 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (May 14 at Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- May 14 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Hillcats to Host Cats Cares Night on May 25 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Former Mudcats Infielder Keston Hiura Earns Call to the Brewers - Carolina Mudcats
- Trea Turner to Begin Rehab Assignment with Potomac Tuesday Night - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Potomac Nationals Stories
- Potomac Nationals Players Recognized in 2019 Minor League Awards
- 2019 Potomac Nationals Season in Review
- Fredericksburg Baseball Team Gets a Name
- Carson Teel Named Carolina League Player of the Month
- Fredericksburg Baseball Hires Nick Hall as New Executive Vice President and General Manager; Bryan Holland and Aaron Johnson Promoted to Vice Presidents