Keys and Blue Rocks Split Twinbill
WILMINGTON, DE - The Frederick Keys used a four-run fourth inning to defeat the Wilmington Blue Rocks 4-1 in game one of a doubleheader before the Blue Rocks claimed a 2-0 walk-off win in game two at Frawley Stadium. Playing for the Keys for the first time since 2017, Austin Hays went 1-for-7 in the two games with an RBI in game one.
In the fourth inning of game one, the Keys sent eight men to bat. Blue Rocks starter Daniel Tillo walked J.C. Escarra to open the inning, while Will Robertson walked with one out to put a pair on base. Jean Carrillo followed with an RBI single to tie the game at one, before a Cole Billingsley bunt and a Yeltsin Gudino double made it 3-1 Frederick. Hays capped off the inning with an RBI base knock to center.
That was plenty of support for Keys starter Mike Baumann who tossed five innings of one-run, two-hit baseball to pick up the victory. He walked three and struck out six while allowing only two hits. It was the first win of the year for Baumann (1-2). Wilmington's lone run in game one came on a sac-bunt by Brewer Hicklen that scored Ricky Aracena.
Pitching on a Major League rehab, Richard Bleier tossed a scoreless sixth inning and Travis Seabrooke worked a clean seventh to go with two strikeouts to tally his first save. Tillo (3-3) suffered the loss, allowing four runs on three hits in 3.2 innings. He walked four and punched out one.
In game two, the Keys and Blue Rocks were stuck in a stalemate until the bottom of the seventh inning. After Dennicher Carrasco single to center to open the inning off Brenan Hanifee, MJ Melendez hit a two-run home run to center to end the game. It was the first time the Keys had been victimized by a walk-off this year.
The Keys were limited to three hits across five shutout innings by Rito Lugo and Tyler Zuber did not allow a hit over his two scoreless innings of relief. Posting the win, Zuber (2-2) struck out one. Hanifee (3-3) was tagged with the loss, giving up the two-run homer on two hits over two innings of relief.
Cody Sedlock received a no-decision, tossing four scoreless innings of one-hit baseball. He walked two and struck out six to cut his ERA to 1.71.
The Keys and Blue Rocks play on Wednesday morning at Frawley Stadium. Right-hander Dean Kremer (0-0, 0.00) starts for the Keys and will be opposed by Blue Rocks left-hander Daniel Lynch (2-2, 4.76). First pitch is slated for 10:35 a.m. and the game can be heard on frederickkeys.com and the TuneIn radio app with pregame coverage starting at 10:20 a.m.
The Keys return to Nymeo Field on Friday night when the Salem Red Sox come to town. It is Family Fitness Weekend presented by Premiere Dental Arts. Highlights include #AllCAPS Night with an appearance by former Capitals player Mike Knuble, Hail to the Redskins Night with Vernon Davis and Gary Clark sponsored by PMSi as well as two fireworks shows. For tickets, fans can call the Keys at 301-815-9939 or visit frederickkeys.com.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League's Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Winston Drops Fifth Straight in Tuesday's Loss at Myrtle - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys and Blue Rocks Split Twinbill - Frederick Keys
- Lynchburg Falls to Carolina in Extra-Innings Thriller - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Balego, Mitchell Homer in Birds' Fifth-Straight Home Win - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodies Even Series Behind Strong Start From Latz - Down East Wood Ducks
- Offense Goes Quiet in 3-1 Loss to Down East - Potomac Nationals
- Walk-Off Homer by Melendez Gets Rocks Doubleheader Split - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- May 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (May 14 at Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- May 14 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Hillcats to Host Cats Cares Night on May 25 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Former Mudcats Infielder Keston Hiura Earns Call to the Brewers - Carolina Mudcats
- Trea Turner to Begin Rehab Assignment with Potomac Tuesday Night - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.