Winston Drops Fifth Straight in Tuesday's Loss at Myrtle
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - Winston-Salem outhit Myrtle Beach in Tuesday's contest at TicketReturn.Com Field at Pelicans Ballpark, but the Dash dropped their fifth consecutive game by falling 5-2 against the Pelicans.
Jameson Fisher posted his 10th multi-hit effort on Tuesday night, going 3-for-4 with a double and a run scored. Thanks to his three-hit performance, the former fourth-rounder has upped his season OPS to .820, which is the best mark on the Dash's (18-19) active roster.
Despite registering nine hits to the Birds' six, Winston-Salem fell down early. With the game scoreless in the bottom of the third, Jhonny Bethencourt started the frame with a single against Dash starter Zach Lewis (2-2).
After stealing second, Bethencourt moved to third on a sacrifice bunt from Carlos Sepulveda. The next batter, Zach Davis, stroked a sacrifice fly to center to put the Pelicans (14-35) ahead 1-0.
In the fourth, Fisher helped push across Winston-Salem's first run of the contest. Fisher singled with one out against Paul Richan (4-2), and he moved to third on a single by Zach Remillard, who extended his hitting streak to nine games. Following a Craig Dedelow strikeout, JJ Muno smacked a run-scoring single to right to knot the contest at one.
However, that would be all the offense against Richan, who registered a career-high 6.2 innings and allowed just seven hits and one run in the winning effort.
In the bottom of the fourth, Cam Balego drilled a solo homer to left-center with one out to give Myrtle Beach the edge for good. Two batters later, Kevonte Mitchell blasted a solo homer to left field to make it a 3-1 Pelicans lead. Overall, Lewis went five innings, allowing three hits and three runs while walking four and striking out four.
Codi Heuer relieved Lewis and struck out the side in the sixth, but he allowed two runs in the seventh. Jimmy Herron increased the lead to three with a run-scoring single to left, and Miguel Ayala capped the Pelicans scoring efforts with a sacrifice fly.
Yeyson Yrizarri grounded a run-scoring double in the top of the ninth against Manny Rodriguez, but the right-hander ended the game by getting Tyler Frost to ground out.
Winston-Salem continues its four-game set on Wednesday against Myrtle Beach. Left-hander Cristian Castillo (1-4, 4.85 ERA) will take the hill for the Dash against Pelicans right-hander Javier Assad (1-3, 2.70 ERA). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast, MiLB.tv and the TuneIn Radio App. Pregame coverage commences at 6:50 p.m.
Following the seven-game road trip, the Dash will return to BB&T Ballpark for a four-game set with the Fayetteville Woodpeckers from May 20-23. Promotions include a Free Food Monday, with free hot dogs and fries available until 8:30 p.m., and corndogs while supplies last. Tuesday's game will be a Taco Tuesday, with $2 tacos available at the concession stand behind home plate. The series finale will be a Lowes Foods Thirsty Thursday and a Pups in the Park Night presented by Handy and Handy Orthodontics. For tickets and more information, call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Winston Drops Fifth Straight in Tuesday's Loss at Myrtle - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys and Blue Rocks Split Twinbill - Frederick Keys
- Lynchburg Falls to Carolina in Extra-Innings Thriller - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Balego, Mitchell Homer in Birds' Fifth-Straight Home Win - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodies Even Series Behind Strong Start From Latz - Down East Wood Ducks
- Offense Goes Quiet in 3-1 Loss to Down East - Potomac Nationals
- Walk-Off Homer by Melendez Gets Rocks Doubleheader Split - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- May 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (May 14 at Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- May 14 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Hillcats to Host Cats Cares Night on May 25 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Former Mudcats Infielder Keston Hiura Earns Call to the Brewers - Carolina Mudcats
- Trea Turner to Begin Rehab Assignment with Potomac Tuesday Night - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- Cavanerio, Bats Lead Dash to 9-3 Victory on Friday
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 19 vs. Wilmington)
- Dash Rally Falls Short against Blue Rocks on Thursday
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 18 vs. Wilmington)
- Dash to Take Part in "Fill the Stands with Cans" on Friday