Former Mudcats Infielder Keston Hiura Earns Call to the Brewers
ZEBULON, N.C. - Former Carolina Mudcats infielder Keston Hiura was called up to the majors today by the Milwaukee Brewers. Hiura played for the Mudcats last season and is the first Mudcats player from the 2018 team to receive a major league promotion to the Brewers.
Hiura, 22, began the 2019 season rated as Major League Baseball's No. 15 overall prospect and played in 37 games with Triple-A San Antonio where he hit .333/.408/.698 with 11 home runs, 26 RBI and a 1.106 OPS before today's promotion. Hiura was the ninth overall pick by the Brewers in the 2017 Draft out of UC Irvine and is the first position player from the first round of the 2017 Draft to reach the majors.
Hiura began the 2018 season with the Mudcats and hit .320/.382/.529 while totaling a .911 OPS over 54 games with Carolina last season. He also totaled 38 runs, 66 hits, 16 doubles, three triples, seven home runs, 23 RBI, 14 walks and 47 strikeouts over his two months with Carolina while being named a mid-season Carolina League All-Star.
The Valencia, CA native was exceptionally brilliant in his second month with Carolina last season and was named the Carolina League's Player of the Month for May after leading the circuit in most major offensive categories. Hiura led the Carolina League in hits (46), runs (29), extra-base hits (21), total bases (81), doubles (13), slugging (.664) and OPS (1.101) in May of last season. He was also second in home runs (six) and third in both average (.377) and on-base percentage (.437).
Hiura was promoted Double-A Biloxi on June 1, 2018 and left the Carolina League last season ranked second in batting (.320), second in hits (66), first in doubles (16), first in extra-base hits (26), tied for first in slugging (.529), tied for second in runs (38) and first in total bases (109). He bid farewell to the Carolina League by going 5-for-5 with two home runs, three runs and two RBI in his final game as a Mudcat on May 31, 2018 in Lynchburg.
Hiura is the second former Mudcat to receive a promotion to the majors this season. He now joins 2016 Mudcats infielder Dylan Moore made his major league debut with the Seattle Mariners in Japan versus the Oakland Athletics on March 28, 2019. Moore played in 10 games with then-Atlanta Braves affiliated Mudcats in 2016 and hit .343/.415/.457 (12-for-35 with four doubles and four RBI) after being acquired via trade from the Texas Rangers organization on August 24, 2016.
Hiura now joins pitchers Corbin Burnes and Freddy Peralta as the three former Mudcats players to debut with the Brewers since Carolina became Milwaukee's Class-A Advanced affiliate before the 2017 season.
The Carolina Mudcats are the proud Carolina League, Class-A Advanced affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers. First established in 1991, the two-time Southern League Champion Mudcats are entering their 29th consecutive season of baseball at Five County Stadium in Zebulon, N.C. The Mudcats are owned and operated by the Milwaukee Brewers.
Images from this story
Keston Hiura with the Carolina Mudcats in 2018
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Winston Drops Fifth Straight in Tuesday's Loss at Myrtle - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys and Blue Rocks Split Twinbill - Frederick Keys
- Lynchburg Falls to Carolina in Extra-Innings Thriller - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Balego, Mitchell Homer in Birds' Fifth-Straight Home Win - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodies Even Series Behind Strong Start From Latz - Down East Wood Ducks
- Offense Goes Quiet in 3-1 Loss to Down East - Potomac Nationals
- Walk-Off Homer by Melendez Gets Rocks Doubleheader Split - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- May 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (May 14 at Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- May 14 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Hillcats to Host Cats Cares Night on May 25 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Former Mudcats Infielder Keston Hiura Earns Call to the Brewers - Carolina Mudcats
- Trea Turner to Begin Rehab Assignment with Potomac Tuesday Night - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.