Balego, Mitchell Homer in Birds' Fifth-Straight Home Win
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - Cam Balego and Kevonte Mitchell each homered in the Myrtle Beach Pelicans 5-2 win over the Winston-Salem Dash on Tuesday night at TicketReturn.com Field at Pelicans Ballpark.
Zach Lewis got off to a hot start on the mound for the Dash as he cruised through the first two innings, before running into trouble in the third. Jhonny Bethencourt singled to lead off the inning and after he stole second base, Carlos Sepulveda sacrificed him over to third and Bethencourt scored on a sacrifice fly from Zach Davis that made it 1-0 Birds.
The Dash scratched a run across in the top of the third when JJ Muno singled home Jameson Fisher that tied the game at 1-1.
The Pelicans retook a 3-1 lead in the third when Balego and Mitchell each launched solo homers to put the Birds back in front.
From that point on, Paul Richan (4-2) really settled in. The Pelicans' starter went a career-high 6.2 innings and allowed just one run on seven hits to earned his fourth win of the season.
Myrtle Beach (14-25) was not done scoring either as they plated two more runs in the seventh inning to extend the lead to 5-1. Jimmy Herron collected an RBI single and Miguel Amaya followed with a sacrifice fly to give the Pelicans a four-run lead entering the eighth inning.
Winston-Salem (18-19) scored a run in the top of the ninth inning on an RBI double from Yeyson Yrizarri to cut the game to 5-2, but Manuel Rodriguez forced Tyler Frost to ground out to end the ballgame.
Myrtle Beach has now won five-consecutive games at home.
The Birds will look to secure the series win in game three on Wednesday at 7:05 p.m. The reigning Carolina League Pitcher of the Week, Javier Assad (1-3, 2.70) will take the hill for Myrtle Beach against Cristian Castillo (1-4, 4.85) for the Dash.
Coverage will begin at 6:50 p.m. on MiLB.tv and the Pelicans Baseball Network, which is available on the TuneIn App, MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast and MiLB First Pitch app.
Wednesday will be Weiner Wednesday featuring buy one, get one free hot dogs presented by WPDE.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Winston Drops Fifth Straight in Tuesday's Loss at Myrtle - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys and Blue Rocks Split Twinbill - Frederick Keys
- Lynchburg Falls to Carolina in Extra-Innings Thriller - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Balego, Mitchell Homer in Birds' Fifth-Straight Home Win - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodies Even Series Behind Strong Start From Latz - Down East Wood Ducks
- Offense Goes Quiet in 3-1 Loss to Down East - Potomac Nationals
- Walk-Off Homer by Melendez Gets Rocks Doubleheader Split - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- May 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (May 14 at Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- May 14 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Hillcats to Host Cats Cares Night on May 25 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Former Mudcats Infielder Keston Hiura Earns Call to the Brewers - Carolina Mudcats
- Trea Turner to Begin Rehab Assignment with Potomac Tuesday Night - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.