Woodies Bats Quieted By Birds In 3-1 Loss
Myrtle Beach, S.C. - The Down East Wood Ducks were held to just four hits on the night, and none after the fourth inning, as they fell to Myrtle Beach, 3-1, Saturday.
The Wood Ducks (49-20) lose for just the third time in the month of June, and just the third time in their last 20 games.
Myrtle Beach (21-45) got on the board in the first inning. With two outs, Miguel Amaya, Tyler Payne, and Kevonte Mitchell tallied three straight hits to give the home team a 1-0 advantage.
The Wood Ducks drew even in the fourth inning against Alexander Vargas (win, 1-1). Ryan Dorow laced a one-out double to left, and came into score on a Yohel Pozo RBI single later in the frame to even the score at 1-1.
Vargas went five innings, allowing just the one run on four hits, he walked one, and struck out four.
The Pelicans responded quickly against Reid Anderson (loss, 3-3). In the home half of the fourth, Aramis Ademan and Jimmy Herron led off with back-to-back singles, and then Anderson would load the bases with a walk to Luke Reynolds. Zach Davis would bring home a run on a fielder's choice, and then a second run would come home on a throwing error on Pozo who attempted to throw behind Reynolds at third, with Davis stealing second. The throw bounced into left field, making it 3-1 Pelicans.
Anderson would work six innings, giving up three runs (two earned) on eight hits, he walked one and struck out six.
Francisco Villegas came out of the bullpen to fire two scoreless innings. However, the offense tallied just three base runners after the fourth inning, all on walks. Two were issued to Diosbel Arias who extends his on-base streak to 17-straight, the longest active in the Carolina league.
The first half concludes Sunday, with the finale of the four game series. Right-hander Alex Eubanks (5-2, 3.35) will make the start for the Woodies, opposed by Pelicans righty Erick Leal (0-1, 8.10). First pitch is set for 6:05 p.m., and the pregame show will begin at 5:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull, and online at 960thebull.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Radio Apps.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Woodpeckers Cruise to Victory over Nationals - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Fitzgerald Walks It Off - Frederick Keys
- Bullpen Struggles as Blue Rocks Rout Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Rocks Record Most Lopsided Win of Season - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Birds Snap Losing Streak with 3-1 Win over Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Big Innings Sink P-Nats in Fayetteville - Potomac Nationals
- Aguilar and Lutz Combine for 4 RBI in 4-2 Carolina Victory - Carolina Mudcats
- Woodies Bats Quieted By Birds In 3-1 Loss - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pilkington Shines in Dash's Narrow Loss at Carolina - Winston-Salem Dash
- June 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (June 15 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- RHP Brain Glowicki activated from the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 15 vs. Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 15 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Walker Hits for the Cycle in Winston's 6-2 Win at Carolina - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Wood Ducks Statement on Delay of 2020 Season
- Down East Wood Ducks to Host ECU vs UNCW Baseball Game, April 14
- Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Down East Wood Ducks Unveil New Copa de la Diversion Identity for 2020 Season
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year