Fitzgerald Walks It Off
SALEM, VA. - The Frederick Keys (29-39) dropped a 5-4 heartbreaker as Ryan Fitzgerald walked-it off for the Salem Red Sox (24-42) on Saturday night at Hayley Toyota Field. With the game tied 4-4 in the ninth, the Red Sox worked two runners on for Fitzgerald, who singled against the shift into left field and scored the winning run. The Keys held a two-run lead on two separate occasions but squandered them both. It is the fifth straight loss for Frederick and their 13th in their last 14 games.
The Keys threatened in the third inning after Cole Billingsley and Willy Yahn hit back-to-back singles. Jomar Reyes then bounced a ball to short, but Tanner Nishioka's relay throw to first sailed wide and Billingsley was able to score. J.C. Escarra then extended the inning with a soft single to right field that put Reyes at third, and Zach Jarrett smoked an RBI single to left to score him and make it 2-0.
The Red Sox came right back in the bottom of the inning. Michael Baumann allowed two straight walks before Victor Acosta singled in a run, and Fitzgerald hit a sacrifice fly to tie the game 2-2.
Frederick jumped ahead 4-2 thanks to Jarrett's two-out, two run single in the fifth inning. Jarrett ended the day 3-for-4 with three RBIs.
Baumann was pulled after throwing 90 pitches through five innings. He allowed two runs on two hits, walked four and struck out four.
Luis Perez came in relief in the sixth but gave up two runs. With runners at the corners, the Red Sox attempted to steal second base and Jean Carrillo's throw went over Yahn's head and into center field, allowing a runner to score. Nishioka then doubled in the run from second to tie the game 4-4.
Diogenes Almengo (2-3) entered the game in the eighth inning and gave up a triple to Marcus Wilson but Almengo stranded him at third. In the ninth, Almengo gave up a lead-off infield single and walked a batter to put the winning run in scoring position for Fitzgerald.
Red Sox starter Kutter Crawford lasted six innings and was charged with all four runs. He gave up eight hits, walked a batter and struck out four. Both Baumann and Crawford finished with 77 strikeouts in the first half, tops in the Carolina League.
Andrew Politi (3-1) got the win with three scoreless innings in relief.
The Keys and Red Sox play the final game on the first half on Sunday, June. LHP Cameron Bishop (0-5, 4.47) will start for Frederick opposite LHP Enmanuel De Jesus (3-5, 4.74). First pitch is scheduled for 2:05pm. Fans can listen to the game at frederickkeys.com or on the TuneIn app with pregame coverage starting at 1:50pm.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League's Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Woodpeckers Cruise to Victory over Nationals - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Fitzgerald Walks It Off - Frederick Keys
- Bullpen Struggles as Blue Rocks Rout Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Rocks Record Most Lopsided Win of Season - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Birds Snap Losing Streak with 3-1 Win over Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Big Innings Sink P-Nats in Fayetteville - Potomac Nationals
- Aguilar and Lutz Combine for 4 RBI in 4-2 Carolina Victory - Carolina Mudcats
- Woodies Bats Quieted By Birds In 3-1 Loss - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pilkington Shines in Dash's Narrow Loss at Carolina - Winston-Salem Dash
- June 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (June 15 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- RHP Brain Glowicki activated from the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 15 vs. Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 15 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Walker Hits for the Cycle in Winston's 6-2 Win at Carolina - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.