Woodchucks Drop Home Finale to Rafters 8-7
Wausau, WIS - The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters scored four times in the ninth as the Wisconsin Woodchucks closed out the home schedule for 2018 with an 8-7 loss tonight at Athletic Park. The Chucks finished with a home record of 19-17 for the season.
The Woodchucks got the offense going right away in the first. Javier Valdes walked, followed by a single from Brandt Broussard and a double from Zach DeLoach that scored Valdes. Nick Loftin grounded out later in the inning to score Broussard and give the Chucks a 2-0 lead after one. The Rafters answered right back in the top of the second to tie the game at 2-2.
The Chucks regained the lead in the second, with Isaac Quinones scoring on a single by Valdes to go up 3-2.
Reese Alexiades homered to lead off the third for the Chucks. Dom DeRenzo tripled later in the frame and came in to score on a single from Quinones to put the Chucks up 5-2. The Rafters followed with two solo homers in the fourth to pull within one at 5-4.
Tommy Duddleston led off the fourth with an infield single and scored when Broussard got in a rundown going to second and the throw home was not in time, giving the Chucks a 6-4 advantage.
The Chucks added a run in the seventh when Quinones walked with the bases loaded to score DeLoach.
Joey Hennessey pitched three scoreless innings of relief while striking out two. Starter Ricardo Garcia pitched four innings and gave up three earned runs.
DeLoach was 3-5 at the dish. Quinones was 2-4 with 2 RBIs. Valdes, Broussard, Alexiades and DeRenzo also had two hits each.
The Woodchucks have three road games remaining, including on Friday August 10th at Wisconsin Rapids. For information on 2019 tickets, call us at 715.845.5055, stop by our front office, or visit woodchucks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 10, 2018
- McCraith Throws Eight Scoreless Innings; Battle Creek Wins Tenth Straight Game - Battle Creek Bombers
- Huskies Get Back in Business with Close Win - Duluth Huskies
- In Final Home Game of 2018 the Stingers Take Care of Business - Willmar Stingers
- Bullfrogs Mash Three Home Runs in Comeback Win at Madison - Green Bay Booyah
- Bullfrogs Hold off Mallards - Madison Mallards
- Rox Win Fourth Straight in Front of Packed Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Woodchucks Fall to Rafters 3-2 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rafters Finish Chucks on Friday Night - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bucks Drop 5-4 Heartbreaker to Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Honkers Swept by Stingers - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters and Woodchucks Conclude the Season Series at Witter - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Open Final Homestand - Madison Mallards
- Former Thunder Bay Border Cat Wes Parsons Debuts with the Braves - Northwoods
- Rafters Come Back in the Ninth to Down Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Drop Home Finale to Rafters 8-7 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.