Honkers Swept by Stingers
(Rochester, Minn.) - The Willmar Stingers offense led them to complete the sweep and defeat the Rochester Honkers 7-1 Friday at Bill Taunton Stadium. The division leading Stingers won their third straight to move to 24-11 in the second half and 46-24 overall. The Honkers dropped their second straight to fall to 16-18 and 33-37.
The Honkers were able to strike first in the fourth. Christian Robinson (Stanford) launched a solo home run to give Rochester a 1-0 advantage. For Robinson, it was his team leading 10th homer of the year.
The Stingers responded with a three-run fourth inning. Nic Hernandez (Cal Poly Pomona) came around to score on a wild pitch and tie the game at one. Tyler Reichenborn (Iowa Western) crushed a two-run home run to put Willmar up 3-1.
The Stingers rallied for four runs in the fifth. John Trousdale (Alabama) hit a two-RBI single to extend Willmar's lead to 5-1. Eric Yang (UC Santa Barbara) collected two RBIs of his own driving a double to give the Stingers a 7-1 lead.
Honkers starting pitcher Cole Quintanilla (Texas) was tagged with his third loss of the season. Quintanilla pitched four innings and gave up three runs on four hits. Nick Simak (Roosevelt) came in relief and tossed one inning surrendering four runs on four hits. Erik Edminster (Loras) tossed two scoreless innings and picked up a strikeout. Nate Webb (UC Riverside) tossed a scoreless eighth inning and struck out two.
Matt Hardy (UC Riverside) had the lone multi-hit game for Rochester, Hardy went 2-for-4 to give himself his 12th multi-hit game of the summer.
Stingers starting pitcher Noah Fluman (San Diego State) picked up his second win of the year. Fluman worked five innings giving up one run on four hits.
The Honkers begin their last series of the year Saturday against the Bucks in Waterloo. Mike Townsend (UCLA) is scheduled to start for the Bucks, Townsend has a 0-2 record and a 6.42 ERA. The Honkers probable pitcher is to be determined. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 10, 2018
- McCraith Throws Eight Scoreless Innings; Battle Creek Wins Tenth Straight Game - Battle Creek Bombers
- Huskies Get Back in Business with Close Win - Duluth Huskies
- In Final Home Game of 2018 the Stingers Take Care of Business - Willmar Stingers
- Bullfrogs Mash Three Home Runs in Comeback Win at Madison - Green Bay Booyah
- Bullfrogs Hold off Mallards - Madison Mallards
- Rox Win Fourth Straight in Front of Packed Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Woodchucks Fall to Rafters 3-2 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rafters Finish Chucks on Friday Night - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bucks Drop 5-4 Heartbreaker to Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Honkers Swept by Stingers - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters and Woodchucks Conclude the Season Series at Witter - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Open Final Homestand - Madison Mallards
- Former Thunder Bay Border Cat Wes Parsons Debuts with the Braves - Northwoods
- Rafters Come Back in the Ninth to Down Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Drop Home Finale to Rafters 8-7 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.