Wings Fall in Walk-Off Fashion on Opening Night
Red Wings Baseball is back. And so are all the ups and downs that come with it.
The Wings lost in walk-off fashion, 6-5, Tuesday night against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs at Coca-Cola Park in Allentown, PA.
A back-and-forth affair saw the Wings take the lead in the 10th on a Gerardo Parra RBI single and another lead in the 11th on an RBI knock from Jake Noll, but it was Scott Kingery's two-out, two-run double in the bottom of the 11th that sent the IronPigs to the win on Opening Night.
It took all of three pitches for the Red Wings to get on the board as leadoff man Luis Garcia hammered a pitch to straightaway center for a 1-0 lead.
After the IronPigs scored a pair in the second inning, Rochester regained their one-run lead in the third on RBI hits from Yasmany Tomas and Noll.
Noll finished 2-for-5 with two RBI in his Wings debut. Garcia was the only other Red Wing with multiple hits.
Red Wings starter Sean Nolin went 4 1/3 innings, allowing three runs on six hits and a walk. The southpaw struck out four.
The Wings bullpen, led by two scoreless frames from Justin Miller including five strikeouts, allowed just four hits over 6 1/3 innings of work.
The Wings and Pigs continue their season-opening, six-game series from Allentown on Wednesday night at 7:05 pm. Right-hander Steven Fuentes makes his Red Wings debut.
WINGS THINGS: Nolin became the first Wings pitcher to bat in the starting lineup since Danny Graves in 2008. He's the first Wings pitcher to hit since Logan Darnell in the 15th inning on July 3, 2015 in Lehigh Valley. Nolin went 0-for-1 with a walk...Garcia is the youngest player to make a Red Wings Opening Day roster since 1982...This was the first time the Wings went to extra innings on Opening Day since 1981.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 4, 2021
- Kingery walk-off gives Pigs first win in 2021 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Swaggerty's Three-Hit Day Leads Indy in Opening Night Shutout - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Fall in Walk-Off Fashion on Opening Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Jeffers Homers, But Saints First Game as a Triple-A Affiliate Doesn'T Go as Planned in 8-2 Loss - St. Paul Saints
- Baseball in Syracuse Returns with Opening Day Mets Victory over RailRiders, 5-2, on Tuesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Heineman Homers, Finnegan Crusies as Bats Fall Short - Louisville Bats
- Sounds Fall in Season Opener Despite Four Home Runs - Nashville Sounds
- Mud Hens Prevail in 8-7 Victory over Sounds - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Drop Season Debut - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (0-0) at Iowa Cubs (0-0) - Indianapolis Indians
- May 4 Game Notes - Iowa Cubs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 4, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: May 4, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Voit Joins RailRiders for Opening Day on Rehab Assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Tides Announce 2021 Opening Day Roster - Norfolk Tides
- Cleveland Indians & Columbus Clippers Announce 2021 Opening Roster - Columbus Clippers
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2021 Opening Night Roster - Gwinnett Stripers
- Indianapolis Indians Charities, Teachers' Treasures Announce Whiteboard Double Play Campaign - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.