RailRiders Drop Season Debut
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - For the first time in 605 days, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders took the field on Tuesday night as the 2021 Triple-A East League season commenced, but the return to action was spoiled by the Syracuse Mets, 5-2.
Luke Voit went 2-for-3 with a double and a walk in the first game of a rehab assignment while serving as the designated hitter.
The Mets took the lead in the bottom of the third when Martin Cervenka led off with a solo home run against RailRiders starter Mike Montgomery. Syracuse tacked on another run in the inning owing to two fielding errors to take a 2-0 lead.
In the top of the fourth the RailRiders struck back against the Mets' Jered Eickhoff. Derek Dietrich led off with a single, then Socrates Brito clobbered a home run to center to tie the game at 2-2. Those were the only runs Eickhoff (1-0) allowed in 6.0 innings of work in his Mets organization debut.
Syracuse regained the lead in the bottom of the fifth as two wild pitches from Nick Nelson led to two more runs. Montgomery (0-1) was charged with three runs (two earned) on four hits in 4.1 innings, walking one and striking out four in his RailRiders debut. The Mets tacked on a run in the sixth against Nelson on a David Thompson home run to extend the lead to 5-2.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre put runners on base in every inning, but hit into three double plays and stranded six runners on base throughout the game. Voit, Brito, and Chris Gittens led the way with two hits each, while Andrew Velazquez went 1-for-3 with a stolen base in his RailRiders debut.
Reggie McClain and Nick Goody each threw scoreless innings out of the bullpen for SWB in their 2021 season debuts. It was McClain's Yankees organization debut, while Goody pitched for the RailRiders for the first time since 2016.
The RailRiders continue their six-game series with the Mets on Wednesday night at NBT Bank Stadium in Syracuse. The game can be heard on the RailRiders Baseball Network with first pitch at 6:35 p.m. and pregame coverage beginning at 6:15.
The RailRiders 2021 home opener at PNC Field is scheduled for Tuesday, May 11 against Lehigh Valley at 6:35 p.m. For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 4, 2021
- Kingery walk-off gives Pigs first win in 2021 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Swaggerty's Three-Hit Day Leads Indy in Opening Night Shutout - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Fall in Walk-Off Fashion on Opening Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Jeffers Homers, But Saints First Game as a Triple-A Affiliate Doesn'T Go as Planned in 8-2 Loss - St. Paul Saints
- Baseball in Syracuse Returns with Opening Day Mets Victory over RailRiders, 5-2, on Tuesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Heineman Homers, Finnegan Crusies as Bats Fall Short - Louisville Bats
- Sounds Fall in Season Opener Despite Four Home Runs - Nashville Sounds
- Mud Hens Prevail in 8-7 Victory over Sounds - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Drop Season Debut - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (0-0) at Iowa Cubs (0-0) - Indianapolis Indians
- May 4 Game Notes - Iowa Cubs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 4, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: May 4, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Voit Joins RailRiders for Opening Day on Rehab Assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Tides Announce 2021 Opening Day Roster - Norfolk Tides
- Cleveland Indians & Columbus Clippers Announce 2021 Opening Roster - Columbus Clippers
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2021 Opening Night Roster - Gwinnett Stripers
- Indianapolis Indians Charities, Teachers' Treasures Announce Whiteboard Double Play Campaign - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - August 5, 2021
- Big Eighth Propels RailRiders past Worcester
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - August 4, 2021
- Worcester Gets Better of RailRiders in Series Opener
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - August 3, 2021