Kingery walk-off gives Pigs first win in 2021
(Allentown, Pa) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (1-0) have not played a home game in 616 days and the first game of the 2021 season needed more than nine innings. Scott Kingery hit a walk-off two-run triple in the bottom of the 11th inning against Bryan Bonnell (0-1) to give the IronPigs a 6-5 win over the Rochester Red Wings (0-1).
Rochester wasted no time getting on the scoreboard first in the top of the first inning as shortstop Luis Garcia hit a home run off IronPigs starting pitcher to give them a 1-0 lead. The IronPigs were able to answer in the bottom of the second inning as left fielder Luke Williams hit a two-run double off Sean Nolin to give them a 2-1 lead.
The Red Wings took a 3-2 lead in the top of the 3rd inning as left fielder Jake Noll hit an RBI single to score Luis Garcia and Yasmany Tomas hit a RBI double. The IronPigs tied the game in the bottom of the fifth inning as Austin Listi hit an RBI single Nolin.
Medina pitched three innings before turning things over to the bullpen. Ramon Rosso, Cristopher Sanchez, Mauricio Llovera and David Paulino combined to retire 16 batters in relief of Medina before catcher Tres Barrera hit a single with two outs in the top of the ninth inning.
Each team scored a run in the 10th inning. The Red Wings scored a run against Jeff Singer (1-0) in the top of the 11th inning to take a 5-4 lead.
The IronPigs and Red Wings play at 7:05 on Wednesday evening at Coca-Cola Park. RHP Spencer Howard takes the mound for Lehigh Valley.
Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 4, 2021
- Kingery walk-off gives Pigs first win in 2021 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Swaggerty's Three-Hit Day Leads Indy in Opening Night Shutout - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Fall in Walk-Off Fashion on Opening Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Jeffers Homers, But Saints First Game as a Triple-A Affiliate Doesn'T Go as Planned in 8-2 Loss - St. Paul Saints
- Baseball in Syracuse Returns with Opening Day Mets Victory over RailRiders, 5-2, on Tuesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Heineman Homers, Finnegan Crusies as Bats Fall Short - Louisville Bats
- Sounds Fall in Season Opener Despite Four Home Runs - Nashville Sounds
- Mud Hens Prevail in 8-7 Victory over Sounds - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Drop Season Debut - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (0-0) at Iowa Cubs (0-0) - Indianapolis Indians
- May 4 Game Notes - Iowa Cubs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 4, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: May 4, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Voit Joins RailRiders for Opening Day on Rehab Assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Tides Announce 2021 Opening Day Roster - Norfolk Tides
- Cleveland Indians & Columbus Clippers Announce 2021 Opening Roster - Columbus Clippers
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2021 Opening Night Roster - Gwinnett Stripers
- Indianapolis Indians Charities, Teachers' Treasures Announce Whiteboard Double Play Campaign - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.