Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2021 Opening Night Roster
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - The Gwinnett Stripers, in conjunction with the Atlanta Braves, have announced their roster to begin the 2021 Triple-A East season.
Six members of the MLB.com Braves Top 30 Prospects list will start the year with Gwinnett, including outfielder Drew Waters (No. 2) and pitchers Kyle Muller (No. 5), Tucker Davidson (No. 8), Jasseel De La Cruz (No. 9), Daysbel Hernandez (No. 17), and Thomas Burrows (No. 22). Waters is currently ranked No. 29 on the MLB.com Top 100 Prospects list.
Gwinnett Stripers Opening Night Roster (*=Braves 40-Man Roster):
Pitchers (16): Victor Arano*, Chasen Bradford, Thomas Burrows, Jesse Chavez, Tucker Davidson*, Jasseel De La Cruz*, Carl Edwards Jr., Daysbel Hernandez, Mitch Horacek, Connor Johnstone, Nate Jones*, Trevor Kelley, Dylan Lee, Kyle Muller*, Bryse Wilson*, Kyle Wright*
Catchers (3): Ryan Casteel, Carlos Martinez, Jonathan Morales
Infielders (6): Orlando Arcia*, Johan Camargo*, Ryan Goins, Yolmer Sanchez, Travis Snider, Riley Unroe
Outfielders (6): Abraham Almonte, Jaycob Brugman, Travis Demeritte, Phillip Ervin, Terrance Gore, Drew Waters
The Opening Night roster includes 10 returnees from the Stripers' 2019 club: pitchers Burrows, Davidson, Connor Johnstone, Bryse Wilson, and Kyle Wright, catcher Jonathan Morales, infielders Johan Camargo and Riley Unroe, and outfielders Waters and Travis Demeritte.
Twenty-one players are first-time Stripers: pitchers De La Cruz, Hernandez, Muller, Victor Arano, Chasen Bradford, Jesse Chavez, Carl Edwards Jr., Mitch Horacek, Nate Jones, Trevor Kelley, and Dylan Lee, catchers Ryan Casteel and Carlos Martinez, infielders Orlando Arcia, Ryan Goins, Yolmer Sanchez, and Travis Snider, and outfielders Abraham Almonte, Jaycob Brugman, Terrance Gore, and Phillip Ervin. Of that group, four are poised to make their Triple-A debuts: De La Cruz, Hernandez, Martinez, and Muller.
Nineteen players have previous Major League experience: Almonte, Arano, Arcia, Bradford, Brugman, Camargo, Chavez, Davidson, Demeritte, Edwards Jr., Ervin, Goins, Gore, Jones, Kelley, Sanchez, Snider, Wilson, and Wright. Five have played in MLB this season, including Arcia (with Milwaukee) and Camargo, Jones, Wilson, and Wright (with Atlanta).
The roster includes eight players age 25 or younger, with Waters the youngest at 22. Six players are over the age of 30, including the oldest player on the club, the 37-year-old Chavez.
The Stripers are led by manager Matt Tuiasosopo (1st season), pitching coach Mike Maroth (2nd season), hitting coach Carlos Mendez (1st season), coach Wigberto Nevarez (1st season), athletic trainer T.J. Saunders (1st season), and strength and conditioning coach Paul Howey (2nd season).
The Gwinnett Stripers begin the 2021 season on Tuesday, May 4 at Charlotte. Opening Night at Coolray Field is Tuesday, May 11 at 7:05 p.m. vs. Louisville. Single-game tickets for May are on sale now at GoStripers.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 4, 2021
- Kingery walk-off gives Pigs first win in 2021 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Swaggerty's Three-Hit Day Leads Indy in Opening Night Shutout - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Fall in Walk-Off Fashion on Opening Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Jeffers Homers, But Saints First Game as a Triple-A Affiliate Doesn'T Go as Planned in 8-2 Loss - St. Paul Saints
- Baseball in Syracuse Returns with Opening Day Mets Victory over RailRiders, 5-2, on Tuesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Heineman Homers, Finnegan Crusies as Bats Fall Short - Louisville Bats
- Sounds Fall in Season Opener Despite Four Home Runs - Nashville Sounds
- Mud Hens Prevail in 8-7 Victory over Sounds - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Drop Season Debut - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (0-0) at Iowa Cubs (0-0) - Indianapolis Indians
- May 4 Game Notes - Iowa Cubs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 4, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: May 4, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Voit Joins RailRiders for Opening Day on Rehab Assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Tides Announce 2021 Opening Day Roster - Norfolk Tides
- Cleveland Indians & Columbus Clippers Announce 2021 Opening Roster - Columbus Clippers
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2021 Opening Night Roster - Gwinnett Stripers
- Indianapolis Indians Charities, Teachers' Treasures Announce Whiteboard Double Play Campaign - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Homestand Highlights: Opening Week at Coolray Field
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce Updates to Coolray Field for 2021
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2021 Opening Night Roster
- Gwinnett Stripers Accepting Grant Applications for 2021
- Gwinnett Stripers May Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale