Wilson Sharp as Birds Top Claws in Series-Opener
SALISBURY, MD - Ryan Wilson threw eight innings and gave up two runs for Delmarva as the Shorebirds topped the BlueClaws 4-2 on Monday night at Perdue Stadium.
Delmarva (18-7/66-28) improves to 12-3 against the BlueClaws and 11-1 against Lakewood (7-16/36-57) in Salisbury. Meanwhile, the BlueClaws have dropped five straight to fall to 21-games under .500 for the first time this season.
Delmarva opened the scoring in the first inning on an RBI single by JC Encarnaction with two outs. They added three more in the second on a two-out three-run double by Robert Neustrom.
Meanwhile, Lakewood couldn't solve lefty Ryan Wilson, who retired the first 12 BlueClaws he faced.
Lakewood got their first base-runner in the fifth on a single by Abrahan Gutierrez before Carlos De La Cruz launched a two-run home run over the left-centerfield wall. For De La Cruz, it was his third home run of the season, the last two of which have come since Friday.
Wilson (5-3) came out after eight, his longest outing of the season and the longest outing by a BlueClaws opponent this year. He allowed two runs on four hits in the win.
BlueClaws starter Manuel Silva (2-3) gave up four runs in four innings while Ethan Lindow threw four scoreless innings in relief for Lakewood.
Abrahan Gutierrez had two of the five Lakewood hits in the loss.
The teams continue their series at Delmarva on Tuesday night at 7:05 pm. RHP James McArthurstarts for the BlueClaws.
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws pitcher Ethan Lindow
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Drive Top Tourists, 7-2, on Monday - Greenville Drive
- RiverDogs Hang on over GreenJackets in Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Claim Opener vs 'Hoppers in Extras - Hagerstown Suns
- Chandler Deals Seven Scoreless in 5-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- Errors Hurt Jackets in Series Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- MacIver's Home Run a Bright Spot on a Tough Night - Asheville Tourists
- Apostel Homers Twice in 'Dads Rout - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Bats Go Quiet in Opener against West Virginia - Columbia Fireflies
- Wilson Shines Again, 'Birds Breeze by 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Wilson Sharp as Birds Top Claws in Series-Opener - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 15 vs. West Virginia (Game 91) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Second Baseman Kyle Gray Promoted to Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Notes (July 15) - West Virginia Power
- Clemson Tiger Joined by Clemson Football Greats at SRP Park for Clemson Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ryan Wilson Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Bill on Baseball: Mottice Leads Barrage in Series Finale - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.