Drive Top Tourists, 7-2, on Monday
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Drive opened the series with a 7-3 victory over Asheville Tourists on Monday night at Fluor Field, as the Drive racked up 13 hits to take a 1-0 series lead.
The Drive opened scoring with a three-run third inning. With two outs and no one on, Grant Williams and Cole Brannen got back-to-back singles and Brandon Howlett drew a walk to load the bases. Devlin Granberg doubled to left to clear the bases and give the Drive a 3-0 lead.
Greenville added to the lead with a lone run in the fourth. Tyler Esplin led off the inning with a single and Alan Marrero followed with a single to put runners on first and second. Two batters later, Everlouis Lozada singled to center to score Esplin and make it a 4-0 game.
Meanwhile, Drive starter Chase Shugart was able to hold the Tourists scoreless the first six innings. Asheville finally broke through in the seventh, as they loaded the bases with one out. A two-out, bases loaded walk by Terrin Vavra brought home a run to make it 4-1, but Brendan Nail got a strikeout to end the inning and strand three.
Greenville added to its lead with a run in the seventh and two more in the eighth. Granberg doubled off the wall in left center and Esplin scored him with a single to push it to 5-1 after seven. In the eighth, Granberg provided the damage again, collecting his third hit of the night with a single to left to score Williams and Brannen and give the home team a 7-1 lead.
Asheville added one in the ninth on a lead-off solo home run by Willie MacIver to make the final score 7-2.
Shugart (5-1) picked up the win, going 6.1 innings and allowing just one run on six hits with four strikeouts against a pair of walks. Asheville starter Nick Bush (4-8) suffered the loss, allowing four runs on seven hits in 5.0 innings pitched with six strikeouts against on walk.
Granberg paced the Drive on the night, going 3-for-5 with a pair of doubles, a run and a career-high five RBI in the win. Esplin also managed a three-hit night, going 3-for-4 with a run and an RBI. Brannen (2-for-5), Lozada (2-for-4) and Williams (2-for-3) each recorded multi-hit games, while Brannen and Williams each scored twice.
The series continues on Tuesday with first pitch at 7:05 PM. Greenville sends right-hander Hunter Haworth to hill, while Asheville counters with right-hander Shelby Lackey.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Drive Top Tourists, 7-2, on Monday - Greenville Drive
- RiverDogs Hang on over GreenJackets in Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Claim Opener vs 'Hoppers in Extras - Hagerstown Suns
- Chandler Deals Seven Scoreless in 5-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- Errors Hurt Jackets in Series Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- MacIver's Home Run a Bright Spot on a Tough Night - Asheville Tourists
- Apostel Homers Twice in 'Dads Rout - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Bats Go Quiet in Opener against West Virginia - Columbia Fireflies
- Wilson Shines Again, 'Birds Breeze by 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Wilson Sharp as Birds Top Claws in Series-Opener - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 15 vs. West Virginia (Game 91) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Second Baseman Kyle Gray Promoted to Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Notes (July 15) - West Virginia Power
- Clemson Tiger Joined by Clemson Football Greats at SRP Park for Clemson Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ryan Wilson Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Bill on Baseball: Mottice Leads Barrage in Series Finale - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- Greenville Drive Makes $5,000 Contribution to the COVID-19 Community Relief Fund Via "Safe at Home" T-Shirt Activation
- The Greenville Drive and MiLB Launch Campaign to Feed Area Families and Honor Pandemic Heroes
- Don't Miss out on the Best Games During the Drive's 15th Anniversary Season
- Tickets on Sale Now for the 2020 College and High School Schedule at Fluor Field
- Greenville Drive Look to Better Engage Fans with StellarAlgo Partnership