Apostel Homers Twice in 'Dads Rout
Hickory, NC - The Crawdads bats came alive on Monday night as they beat the Kannapolis Intimidators 8-1 in the series opener.
Sherten Apostel sent his fourteenth homerun of the year over the right field fence in the bottom of the first to put the 'Dads up 1-0.
In the bottom of the third, Pedro Gonzalez drew a walk before Apostel hit his second homerun of the evening. Tyreque Reed followed up in the next at bat with his sixth homer of the season to put the 'Dads ahead 4-0.
Crawdads starting pitcher Tyree Thompson allowed a run in the fourth inning but the Intimidators still trailed by three.
The 'Dads made it a four-run game once again in the bottom half of the inning. Frainyer Chavez walked and was picked off trying to steal second but was allowed to take second on an interference by the Intimidators first baseman. Jonathan Ornelas capitalized on the opportunity with a single to center that brought in Chavez.
The Crawdads opened it up in the fifth with three more runs that pushed the score to 8-1. Pedro Gonzalez led off the inning with a walk and came around to score on a wild pitch, ground out and another wild pitch. Melvin Novoa drew a walk and Miguel Aparicio drove a pitch over the right field wall to give the 'Dads a seven run lead.
The series continues tomorrow night with a 7pm first pitch. It is Dollar Dog Tuesday which means hot dogs are $1 thanks to Hebrew National and WHKY 1290AM and 102.3FM and fans can bring their dogs for $1 courtesy of Cody Law Firm. Craft pints will also be on sale for $2 thanks to Lowes Foods.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Drive Top Tourists, 7-2, on Monday - Greenville Drive
- RiverDogs Hang on over GreenJackets in Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Claim Opener vs 'Hoppers in Extras - Hagerstown Suns
- Chandler Deals Seven Scoreless in 5-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- Errors Hurt Jackets in Series Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- MacIver's Home Run a Bright Spot on a Tough Night - Asheville Tourists
- Apostel Homers Twice in 'Dads Rout - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Bats Go Quiet in Opener against West Virginia - Columbia Fireflies
- Wilson Shines Again, 'Birds Breeze by 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Wilson Sharp as Birds Top Claws in Series-Opener - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 15 vs. West Virginia (Game 91) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Second Baseman Kyle Gray Promoted to Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Notes (July 15) - West Virginia Power
- Clemson Tiger Joined by Clemson Football Greats at SRP Park for Clemson Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ryan Wilson Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Bill on Baseball: Mottice Leads Barrage in Series Finale - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.