RiverDogs Hang on over GreenJackets in Opener
NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. - Right-hander Daniel Bies worked four scoreless innings to hold a one-run lead down the stretch as Charleston claimed a 3-2 victory in Monday night's series opener at SRP Park.
Bies entered play ranking third on Charleston's staff in strikeouts, working in a variety of roles between the rotation and the bullpen this year. He ran his total up to 78 after punching out a pair to pick up his club-leading fourth save of the season. The former Zag has posted a scoreless outing in five of his last seven appearances, all in relief.
Right fielder Josh Stowers broke up a 2-2 tie in the sixth before manager Julio Mosquera handed the game off to Bies. After working a 2-0 count in his favor, the former Louisville Cardinal laced an offering from Preston White (1-3) down the left field line to score Anthony Seigler, who singled to reach with one out earlier in the frame, one of six on the night in which Charleston (48-47, 11-14) had a leadoff hitter aboard.
Starter Harold Cortijo (4-1) continued to be a model of consistency in the Dogs rotation, going five innings while giving up a pair of runs each on solo homers with two outs to Diego Rincones and Jacob Gonzalez in the first and fourth innings, respectively. The Puerto Rican right-hander has now gone at least five innings and permitted no more than two earned runs in any of his seven outings since joining the Charleston rotation in early June.
The RiverDogs matched the pair of early home runs from Augusta (48-45, 12-13) by taking advantage of errors to push across a pair of unearned tallies off the starter. Each of the Dogs' first two runs scored on sacrifice flies by Eric Wagaman in the second and shortstop Oswald Peraza in the third.
Left fielder Canaan Smith collected pair of hits and reached on three of four trips, including a walk and a double. With Stowers' game-winning triple, the former second-round selection has now reached base in a season-high 11 straight.
Charleston continues the series in North Augusta on Tuesday night, sending right-hander Jhony Brito (3-2, 2.70) to make his second start of the season. Following 13 appearances in relief to start the season, the 21-year-old hurler started his first game last Tuesday against Rome, yielding four runs in six innings to take the loss. Brito worked 4 1/3 innings with a pair of unearned runs allowed in his most recent relief appearance on July 3 against Augusta. He enters play touting an impressive 43:8 strikeout to walk ratio on the season. The GreenJackets will counter with dextral arm Adam Oller (3-2, 3.19), who faces the Dogs for the first time this season. First pitch is at 7:05 p.m. at SRP Park.
Catch the game on WTMA 1250 AM in the tri-county area as well as online streaming on the TuneIn Radio app. Fans can "Make Fun" with the RiverDogs all season long down at The Joe. Single-game tickets, including options to the Riley Park Club, are available at riverdogs.com/tickets or by contacting the RiverDogs front office at 843-577-3647 (DOGS). A full schedule and list of game times for the 2019 season is available at riverdogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Drive Top Tourists, 7-2, on Monday - Greenville Drive
- RiverDogs Hang on over GreenJackets in Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Claim Opener vs 'Hoppers in Extras - Hagerstown Suns
- Chandler Deals Seven Scoreless in 5-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- Errors Hurt Jackets in Series Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- MacIver's Home Run a Bright Spot on a Tough Night - Asheville Tourists
- Apostel Homers Twice in 'Dads Rout - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Bats Go Quiet in Opener against West Virginia - Columbia Fireflies
- Wilson Shines Again, 'Birds Breeze by 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Wilson Sharp as Birds Top Claws in Series-Opener - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 15 vs. West Virginia (Game 91) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Second Baseman Kyle Gray Promoted to Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Notes (July 15) - West Virginia Power
- Clemson Tiger Joined by Clemson Football Greats at SRP Park for Clemson Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ryan Wilson Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Bill on Baseball: Mottice Leads Barrage in Series Finale - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.