Ryan Wilson Named SAL Pitcher of the Week
SALISBURY, MD - After forging the crown jewel of his rapid ascendance to the top of the rotation, the Delmarva Shorebirds are pleased to announce that left-handed pitcher Ryan Wilson has been named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week for the week of July 8-14.
The 22-year-old from Carlsbad, Calif. recorded the best start of his career on Tuesday, July 9, at West Virginia, tossing seven scoreless innings and striking out 11 batters as part of the Shorebirds' 9-0 shutout win over the Power. Wilson allowed just three baserunners on two hits and a hit batsman and retired the final 10 in a row to face him. The start was the longest of Wilson's career and set a new career high in strikeouts, surpassing the 10 punchouts from his previous start on July 3 at Lakewood.
After beginning the season in extended spring training and joining the Delmarva rotation on May 18, Wilson has reached new heights over the past month. In five starts since June 15, the southpaw boasts a 0.58 ERA, giving up just three runs (two earned) in 31 innings while walking seven and striking out 35. Wilson has gone 3-1 over that span of five consecutive Quality Starts.
Overall this season, Wilson, who spent 2018 with the Shorebirds as a reliever, sports a 4-3 record and a 2.89 ERA in nine starts. His success gives the Shorebirds yet another ace in their pocket; thanks in part to Wilson, Delmarva leads the SAL with a remarkable 2.83 ERA, nearly half a run better than the second-best team mark.
This is the first career weekly award for Wilson and the second for the Shorebirds this season; Grayson Rodriguez won Pitcher of the Week for April 4-14. The Baltimore Orioles drafted Wilson out of Pepperdine University (Malibu, Calif.) in the 33rd round of the 2017 MLB First Year Player Draft.
Wilson is slated to start the Shorebirds' series opener against the Lakewood BlueClaws tonight at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. with gates opening at 6:00. Monday at Perdue Stadium is 47 ABC $3 Buck Monday presented by Wicomico Heating and Airconditioning. Pregame coverage on Fox Sports 960 AM and the MiLB First Pitch App begins at 6:50 with Will DeBoer and Sam Jellinek on the call.
Images from this story
Delmarva Shorebirds pitcher Ryan Wilson
Delmarva Shorebirds pitcher Ryan Wilson
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Drive Top Tourists, 7-2, on Monday - Greenville Drive
- RiverDogs Hang on over GreenJackets in Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Claim Opener vs 'Hoppers in Extras - Hagerstown Suns
- Chandler Deals Seven Scoreless in 5-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- Errors Hurt Jackets in Series Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- MacIver's Home Run a Bright Spot on a Tough Night - Asheville Tourists
- Apostel Homers Twice in 'Dads Rout - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Bats Go Quiet in Opener against West Virginia - Columbia Fireflies
- Wilson Shines Again, 'Birds Breeze by 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Wilson Sharp as Birds Top Claws in Series-Opener - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 15 vs. West Virginia (Game 91) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Second Baseman Kyle Gray Promoted to Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Notes (July 15) - West Virginia Power
- Clemson Tiger Joined by Clemson Football Greats at SRP Park for Clemson Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ryan Wilson Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Bill on Baseball: Mottice Leads Barrage in Series Finale - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delmarva Shorebirds Stories
- 2020 Delmarva Shorebirds Baseball Season Shelved
- A Note from Delmarva Shorebirds GM Chris Bitters
- Shorebirds Announce Fly Together Virtual 5K with All Proceeds Going to Operation We Care
- Start of Shorebirds' 2020 Season Delayed
- Single-Game Tickets Available for All 2020 Shorebirds Home Games