RiverDogs Second Baseman Kyle Gray Promoted to Tampa
CHARLESTON, S.C. - A consistent presence as one half of Charleston's double-play combination, second baseman Kyle Gray was called up to High-A Tampa as announced by the New York Yankees on Monday.
Gray slashed .236/.325/.378 with five home runs and 38 RBI as the RiverDogs' everyday second baseman; his 75 starts at the position are the most for a Charleston player at any one spot on the diamond. His six triples were tied-second most in the South Atlantic League circuit. His patient approach produced a 10.9% walk-rate, drawing 37 bases on balls, ranking among the top-20 in the league.
Gray joins Mickey Gasper as the second member Charleston position player to garner promotion to Tampa this season. Catcher Eduardo Navas also spent a three-game stint in Double-A before returning to the RiverDogs roster.
In a corresponding move, infielder Eduardo Torrealba was activated from Charleston's seven-day injured list, where the 20-year-old had resided since twisting his ankle on a play at first base on June 21 at Hickory. The Venezuela native batted .248 with 15 RBI in 62 games, mostly at shortstop, a position he figures to split time with Oswald Peraza as the up-the-middle pair.
The RiverDogs continue a current six-game road trip on Monday in North Augusta, taking on the GreenJackets (San Francisco) in the first of a three-game tilt. Fans can catch the game on WTMA 1250 AM in the tri-county area and online streaming on the RiverDogs' TuneIn radio station. Right-hander Harold Cortijo (3-1, 1.62) gets the ball for Charleston with the first pitch at 7:05 p.m. from SRP Park. The RiverDogs return to the Lowcountry to open up a four-game, weekend series starting Thursday night at The Joe.
Fans can "Make Fun" with the RiverDogs all season long down at The Joe. Single-game tickets, including options to the Riley Park Club, are now available at riverdogs.com/tickets or by contacting the RiverDogs front office at 843-577-3647 (DOGS). A full schedule and list of game times for the 2019 season is available at riverdogs.com.
Images from this story
Charleston RiverDogs second baseman Kyle Gray
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Drive Top Tourists, 7-2, on Monday - Greenville Drive
- RiverDogs Hang on over GreenJackets in Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Claim Opener vs 'Hoppers in Extras - Hagerstown Suns
- Chandler Deals Seven Scoreless in 5-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- Errors Hurt Jackets in Series Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- MacIver's Home Run a Bright Spot on a Tough Night - Asheville Tourists
- Apostel Homers Twice in 'Dads Rout - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Bats Go Quiet in Opener against West Virginia - Columbia Fireflies
- Wilson Shines Again, 'Birds Breeze by 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Wilson Sharp as Birds Top Claws in Series-Opener - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 15 vs. West Virginia (Game 91) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Second Baseman Kyle Gray Promoted to Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Notes (July 15) - West Virginia Power
- Clemson Tiger Joined by Clemson Football Greats at SRP Park for Clemson Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ryan Wilson Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Bill on Baseball: Mottice Leads Barrage in Series Finale - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.