RiverDogs Second Baseman Kyle Gray Promoted to Tampa
CHARLESTON, S.C. - A consistent presence as one half of Charleston's double-play combination, second baseman Kyle Gray was called up to High-A Tampa as announced by the New York Yankees on Monday.
Gray slashed .236/.325/.378 with five home runs and 38 RBI as the RiverDogs' everyday second baseman; his 75 starts at the position are the most for a Charleston player at any one spot on the diamond. His six triples were tied-second most in the South Atlantic League circuit. His patient approach produced a 10.9% walk-rate, drawing 37 bases on balls, ranking among the top-20 in the league.
Gray joins Mickey Gasper as the second member Charleston position player to garner promotion to Tampa this season. Catcher Eduardo Navas also spent a three-game stint in Double-A before returning to the RiverDogs roster.
In a corresponding move, infielder Eduardo Torrealba was activated from Charleston's seven-day injured list, where the 20-year-old had resided since twisting his ankle on a play at first base on June 21 at Hickory. The Venezuela native batted .248 with 15 RBI in 62 games, mostly at shortstop, a position he figures to split time with Oswald Peraza as the up-the-middle pair.
The RiverDogs continue a current six-game road trip on Monday in North Augusta, taking on the GreenJackets (San Francisco) in the first of a three-game tilt. Fans can catch the game on WTMA 1250 AM in the tri-county area and online streaming on the RiverDogs' TuneIn radio station. Right-hander Harold Cortijo (3-1, 1.62) gets the ball for Charleston with the first pitch at 7:05 p.m. from SRP Park. The RiverDogs return to the Lowcountry to open up a four-game, weekend series starting Thursday night at The Joe.
Fans can "Make Fun" with the RiverDogs all season long down at The Joe. Single-game tickets, including options to the Riley Park Club, are now available at riverdogs.com/tickets or by contacting the RiverDogs front office at 843-577-3647 (DOGS). A full schedule and list of game times for the 2019 season is available at riverdogs.com.
Images from this story
Charleston RiverDogs second baseman Kyle Gray
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Drive Top Tourists, 7-2, on Monday - Greenville Drive
- RiverDogs Hang on over GreenJackets in Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Claim Opener vs 'Hoppers in Extras - Hagerstown Suns
- Chandler Deals Seven Scoreless in 5-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- Errors Hurt Jackets in Series Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- MacIver's Home Run a Bright Spot on a Tough Night - Asheville Tourists
- Apostel Homers Twice in 'Dads Rout - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Bats Go Quiet in Opener against West Virginia - Columbia Fireflies
- Wilson Shines Again, 'Birds Breeze by 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Wilson Sharp as Birds Top Claws in Series-Opener - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 15 vs. West Virginia (Game 91) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Second Baseman Kyle Gray Promoted to Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Notes (July 15) - West Virginia Power
- Clemson Tiger Joined by Clemson Football Greats at SRP Park for Clemson Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ryan Wilson Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Bill on Baseball: Mottice Leads Barrage in Series Finale - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston RiverDogs Stories
- RiverDogs to Bring Back Perros Santos Identity for Second Straight Season
- RiverDogs Add Two to Front Office
- RiverDogs Recognized with South Atlantic League Club Merit Award
- Seeing Double, RiverDogs' Contreras and Torrealba Honored as SAL Pitcher & Player of the Week
- Contreras Dominates as Dogs Rout Drive in Fourth Straight Win