Errors Hurt Jackets in Series Opener
NORTH AUGUSTA, SOUTH CAROLINA: The Augusta GreenJackets (48-45, 12-13) fell on Monday night to the Charleston RiverDogs (48-47, 11-14) by a final score of 3-2. It is the 2nd straight one-run loss for the GreenJackets as they drop the series opener.
In the 1st inning, with two outs, Diego Rincones got his barrel of the bat on the baseball. A high fly-ball to left field sailed over the fence and the Jackets took a 1-0 lead.
Charleston responded in the top of the 2nd inning. Keaton Winn made a throwing error on a pickoff move to 1st base, allowing Canaan Smith to advance to 3rd base. Eric Wagaman hit a sacrifice fly, and the RiverDogs tied the score at one. In the 3rd inning, Charleston scored again. After a single and another GreenJackets error, it setup another sacrifice fly for Charleston, this time for Oswald Peraza to make it a 2-1 RiverDogs lead.
The GreenJackets received another home run, but it was from Jacob Gonzalez. The 6th home run of the season for Gonzalez tied the game at two in the 4th inning. Keaton Winn finished his night after five-innings on the mound, and he allowed two runs, but neither was earned.
In the 6th inning, Charleston took the lead on a Josh Stowers triple, and the RiverDogs took a 3-2 advantage. And that would be enough. Charleston hung on to win 3-2 as the Jackets offense could not force a comeback.
Player of the Game: Diego Rincones, 2-4, R, HR, RBI
Diego Rincones hit his 2nd home run of the season on Monday night, and it was his first since late May. Rincones added another multi-hit game to 2019, it's his 29th of the year.
Tomorrow's Game: 7:05 PM vs Charleston RiverDogs (New York Yankees), SRP Park, North Augusta, South Carolina
Pitching Matchup: (CSC) RHP Jhony Brito (3-2, 2.70 ERA) vs (AUG) RHP Adam Oller (3-2, 3.19 ERA)
Adam Oller takes the mound for the GreenJackets in the 2nd game of the series. Oller has been throwing some of his best baseball of 2019 over his last four-starts. In his last 23 innings-pitched, Oller has an ERA of 1.57 and has been dominating opposing hitters. He also has 27 strikeouts in his last four starts. Oller was signed by the San Francisco Giants in May of 2019. He began 2019 pitching for the Windy City Thunderbolts of the Frontier League (Independent baseball). He was drafted in the 20th round of the 2016 MLB Draft by the Pittsburgh Pirates, but he was released in November of 2018.
Jhony Brito will get the start for Charleston in the 2nd game of the series. Brito faced the GreenJackets on July 3rd out of the bullpen. The 21-year old went 4.1-innings and he allowed two runs. He has made 14 appearances, but Tuesday will be his 2nd start of the season. He is holding opposing hitters to a .219 batting average, and he has 43 strikeouts to eight walks this year. He was signed by the New York Yankees as an International Free Agent in November of 2015 from Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.
Next Homestand: Monday July 15th-Sunday July 21st
July 15th-17th vs Charleston RiverDogs (New York Yankees)
July 18th-21st vs Greensboro Grasshoppers (Pittsburgh Pirates)
The Augusta GreenJackets return home on Monday July 15th for a HUGE homestand filled with fun for the entire family. It all starts on July 15th for our Garden City Bark in the Park Night. Bring your four-legged friends to SRP Park and enjoy the game against the Charleston RiverDogs. It will also be Military Monday presented by Humana- Military Tricare. Fans with a valid Military ID, patrons (active duty military and veterans) will get $2 off their ticket pricing when coming to the SRP Park Box Office for Monday games. On Tuesday July 16th, it will be Christmas in July as Santa and Mrs. Clause will throw out a first pitch and meet with fans. On Wednesday July 17th it will be St. Patrick's Day in July, as we'll feature Irish food and much more. It will also be Comfort Keeper's Baseball Bingo. Thursday July 18th is everybody's favorite day of the week, as it is Thirsty Thursday at SRP Park presented by Garden City Social, Mr. Tattoo, Kicks 99 and BOB FM. 1$ Natural Lights and PBR's will be available from 6-8 PM. On Friday, July 19th it will be our EDTS Cyber Cooler Bag Giveaway to the first 1500 fans in attendance. On Saturday July 20th at 6:05 PM it's our 13th annual Military Appreciation Night. On Military Appreciation Night, the GreenJackets will recognize and honor soldiers and their families for their dedication, commitment, and sacrifices they have made for our great nation. The homestand wraps up on Sunday, July 21st for Sunday Funday presented by Path 2 College 529 Plan. Come out and enjoy a great Sunday Funday where the GreenJackets will have a Pre-Game Catch on the field (4-4:30PM), Face Painting and much more to enjoy while at SRP Park. It will also be Paw Patrol Night. Come out and meet two of the Paw Patrol Characters as they will be here to take pictures with fans that come out to SRP Park on the Sunday, July 21st game!
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Drive Top Tourists, 7-2, on Monday - Greenville Drive
- RiverDogs Hang on over GreenJackets in Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Claim Opener vs 'Hoppers in Extras - Hagerstown Suns
- Chandler Deals Seven Scoreless in 5-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- Errors Hurt Jackets in Series Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- MacIver's Home Run a Bright Spot on a Tough Night - Asheville Tourists
- Apostel Homers Twice in 'Dads Rout - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Bats Go Quiet in Opener against West Virginia - Columbia Fireflies
- Wilson Shines Again, 'Birds Breeze by 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Wilson Sharp as Birds Top Claws in Series-Opener - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 15 vs. West Virginia (Game 91) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Second Baseman Kyle Gray Promoted to Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Notes (July 15) - West Virginia Power
- Clemson Tiger Joined by Clemson Football Greats at SRP Park for Clemson Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ryan Wilson Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Bill on Baseball: Mottice Leads Barrage in Series Finale - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Augusta GreenJackets Stories
- 6th Annual Line Drive Canned Food Drive
- GreenJackets Awarded the Charles K. Murphy Patriot Award
- : Jackets Season Ends in Lexington
- Playoff Notes: Game 2, SALSCS at Lexington Legends, 7:05 p.m., Whitaker Bank Ballpark
- Lexington Takes Game #1 with 2-1 Victory