Will Bruin Stoppage Time Goal Snatches Point for Sounders FC over Timbers
SEATTLE, WASH. - In a 1-1 draw, Sounders FC (9-4-5, 32 points) snatched a point in second-half stoppage time against Cascadia rival Portland Timbers (9-5-5, 32 points) on Thursday night under the lights at CenturyLink Field. Forward Will Bruin gabbed the late equalizer in the 93rd minute of play, bagging his second goal of the campaign and helping his club to a share of the points. The result keeps the Rave Green in first place in the Western Conference, level with Portland on points but holding the edge in goal difference.
Next up for Seattle, the club prepares to face its Canadian Cascadia rival, as the Rave Green head on the road to face Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Tuesday, October 27 (7:00 p.m. PT / JOEtv, Prime Video, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM). Due to COVID-related travel restrictions between the United States and Canada, Vancouver is playing its home matches at Providence Park in Portland.
Tonight's contest at CenturyLink Field marked the 111th all-time matchup between Seattle and Portland (all competitions). In a storied rivalry dating back to 1975 in the North American Soccer League, Seattle is now 54-42-15 all-time against its Oregon rival.
The Thursday night prime time match marked the fourth and final regular-season meeting between Sounders FC and Portland in 2020. Seattle posted a record of 1-2-1 in those matches.
Since the rivalry advanced to MLS in 2011, Sounders FC is 12-10-7 in regular-season action against the Timbers, including a 7-3-4 record in the Emerald City.
With tonight's result, Seattle remains atop the Western Conference with 32 points, narrowly on top of second-place Portland. The Rave Green are level on points with Portland but ahead on goal difference (+18 to the Timbers' +8).
Will Bruin's stoppage time goal to secure the draw was his second strike of 2020, one season removed from a major knee injury. Bruin tore his ACL in a training session in June of last year and was forced to miss the remainder of the 2019 season. He scored his first goal of 2020 in the MLS is Back Tournament in a Knockout Round loss against LAFC on July 27 in Orlando, though that goal does not count toward MLS regular-season statistics.
Head Coach Brian Schmetzer made one change to his starting lineup that faced San Jose on Sunday, with Kelvin Leerdam returning to his right-back role for Alex Roldan.
With tonight's draw, Seattle has secured two draws in consecutive matches. Sounders FC played to a scoreless draw with San Jose on October 18. Prior to those results, the Rave Green had won five of their previous seven contests.
In ordinary times, Thursday's match would count toward the Cascadia Cup standings, the annual trophy that is awarded to the best-performing club of the regular season in the rivalry between Sounders FC, Portland and Vancouver Whitecaps FC. The Cascadia Cup formally started in 2004 by the biggest supporters groups for each of the three clubs: Emerald City Supporters (Seattle), Timbers Army (Portland) and the Vancouver Southsiders (Whitecaps). The competition began when all three teams were members of the USL First Division and involves all three clubs, save for 2009 and 2010, when it was between the Timbers and Whitecaps due to Seattle moving to MLS. In 2011, all three sides were in the MLS for the first time and the competition has existed in top division since then. Earlier this year, the Cascadia Cup Council decided that 2020 matches not played in front of supporters won't count towards Cascadia Cup standings.
Seattle Sounders FC 1 - Portland Timbers 1
Thursday, October 22, 2020
Venue: CenturyLink Field
Referee: Ismail Elfath
Assistants: Corey Parker, Cory Richardson
Fourth Official: Farhad Dadkho
VAR: Chris Penso
Attendance: Closed Door
Weather: 48 degrees and clear
POR - Andres Flores 10'
SEA - Will Bruin 90'+3'
POR - Eryk Williamson (caution) 90'+3'
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC - Stefan Frei; Kelvin Leerdam (Shandon Hopeau 79'), Yeimar GÃ³mez Andrade, Shane O'Neill (Miguel Ibarra 85'), Nouhou; Jordy Delem (Alex Roldan 30'), João Paulo, Cristian Roldan, NicolÃ¡s Lodeiro, Jordan Morris; Will Bruin
Substitutes not used: Stefan Cleveland, RomÃ¡n Torres, Josh Atencio, Ethan Dobbelaere, Justin Dhillon, Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez
Total shots: 15 (Yeimar, 3)
Shots on goal: 1 (Bruin, 1)
Fouls: 13 (João Paulo, 4)
Offside: 1 (Morris, 1)
Corner-kicks: 8 (Lodeiro, 6)
Saves: 3 (Frei, 3)
Portland Timbers - Steve Clark; Marco Farfan, Dario Zuparic, Larrys Mabiala, Jorge Villafana; Diego Chara, Eryk Williamson, Andres Flores (Pablo Bonilla 74'), Diego Valeri, Yimmi Chara; Felipe Mora (Jaroslaw Niezgoda 83')
Substitutes not used: Aljaz Ivacic, Chris Duvall, Bill Tuiloma, Zac McGraw, Renzo Zambrano, Cristhian Paredes, Tomas Conechny
Total shots: 8 (Valeri, 3)
Shots on goal: 4 (Mora, 2)
Fouls: 11 (Farfan, 4)
Offside: 1 (Y. Chara, 1)
Corner-kicks: 3 (Valeri, 3)
Images from this story
Seattle Sounders FC battle the Portland Timbers
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 23, 2020
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face the Houston Dynamo Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City Looks to Continue Unbeaten Run at Inter Miami - Orlando City SC
- #RSLvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Phelipe Called up to Brazil's Olympic Roster for International Friendlies - FC Dallas
- Match Preview: New York Travels to the Midwest to Face Chicago Fire FC - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF and St. Louis CITY SC Join eMLS Ahead of 2021 eMLS Competitive Season - MLS
- Minnesota United FC vs. FC Cincinnati Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Faces FC Dallas on Saturday for the First Time in 2020 - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF to Join eMLS Ahead of 2021 Competitive Season - Inter Miami CF
- Preview: Sporting KC to Host Colorado on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return to Bbva Stadium to Host Columbus Crew SC - Houston Dynamo
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts New England Revolution - Nashville SC
- Will Bruin Stoppage Time Goal Snatches Point for Sounders FC over Timbers - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers, Seattle Battle to 1-1 Draw at Centurylink Field Thursday Night - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Advances to MLS Western Conference Championship with 1-0 Win over FC Dallas
- Civic Activations Continue in Seattle Area as Sounders FC Hosts FC Dallas in Western Conference Semifinal Tonight
- Sounders FC Joins Washington Employers for Racial Equity Coalition
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Dallas - December 1, 2020 - Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
- Sounders FC Advances Past LAFC with 3-1 Victory in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs