Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return to Bbva Stadium to Host Columbus Crew SC
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo return to BBVA Stadium on Saturday to host Columbus Crew SC in the first of four matches to close the regular season. The Dynamo currently sit one point from the final playoff spot and the Crew enter Saturday's game in third place and a handful of points from qualifying to the postseason.
Houston looks to snap a three-game winless streak after avoiding three consecutive losses last Sunday in Minnesota. The Dynamo rallied for a 2-2 draw with the Loons with goals from Dynamo Academy product Memo Rodriguez and forward Niko Hansen. Rodriguez scored his fourth goal of the season and his first since the Texas Derby showdown in Frisco on Sept. 12. Hansen scored his second goal of the season and the forward will be eligible to face his former team for the first time since joining the Dynamo midway through the 2019 season.
Houston will look to Darwin Quintero to break the Crew backline and earn the Dynamo's fourth victory of the season at home. Quintero recorded his ninth assist of the season on Sunday and the playmaker sits one assist shy of the top mark in MLS. Defensively, the Dynamo will look to Marko Maric and Maynor Figueroa to contain an offense that has scored 30 goals this season, tied for second most in the Eastern Conference.
The Crew enter Saturday's game with one victory in their last five games. Columbus snapped the four-game winless streak on Sunday with a 3-1 victory over NYC FC at home. The Crew are winless on the road this season and enter the match with a 0-3-4 record away from Columbus Crew Stadium.
WHO: Houston Dynamo vs. Columbus Crew SC WHEN: Saturday, Oct. 24 - 7:00 p.m. CDT TV: QuestTexas Ch. 55 (Glenn Davis, Eddie Robinson and Cindy Burbano) RADIO: TUDN Radio Houston 1010 AM (Daniel Mejia and Lester Gretsch)
Here are three key points ahead of Saturday's game:
1. MEMO KEY TO PLAYOFF PUSH: Dynamo Academy product Memo Rodriguez sparked the rally on Sunday to salvage a point in Minnesota and keep Houston in the playoff race. The midfielder has combined for seven goals and assists this season and the team has a 2-1-3 record when he scores or tallies an assist. Of the four remaining teams on the Dynamo schedule, Rodriguez has scored or recorded an assist against every team except Columbus. The midfielder has only played in two games and 84 minutes against the Crew, the fewest of the four teams that remain on the Dynamo schedule.
1. PATH TO POSTSEASON CONTINUES: The Dynamo enter the final four-game stretch of the season and have 12 points to play for. Houston currently sit one point from the final playoff spot in the Western Conference. Three of the next four opponents for the Dynamo currently sit in a playoff position and two of the remaining games will be on the road. The Dynamo will look to snap a three-game unbeaten run on Saturday and return to a playoff spot for the first time since Sept. 14.
1. ZARDES KEY TO CREW PLAYOFF RACE: Gyasi Zardes leads the team with 11 goals and four assists this season. The forward has scored 10 or more goals in three consecutive seasons after beginning his professional career with the LA Galaxy in 2013. The Dynamo backline will also need to contain Pedro Santos who leads the team with seven assists. Crew designated player Lucas Zelarayan may return to action after missing the last three games due to injury.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 23, 2020
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face the Houston Dynamo Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City Looks to Continue Unbeaten Run at Inter Miami - Orlando City SC
- #RSLvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Phelipe Called up to Brazil's Olympic Roster for International Friendlies - FC Dallas
- Match Preview: New York Travels to the Midwest to Face Chicago Fire FC - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF and St. Louis CITY SC Join eMLS Ahead of 2021 eMLS Competitive Season - MLS
- Minnesota United FC vs. FC Cincinnati Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Faces FC Dallas on Saturday for the First Time in 2020 - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF to Join eMLS Ahead of 2021 Competitive Season - Inter Miami CF
- Preview: Sporting KC to Host Colorado on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return to Bbva Stadium to Host Columbus Crew SC - Houston Dynamo
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts New England Revolution - Nashville SC
- Will Bruin Stoppage Time Goal Snatches Point for Sounders FC over Timbers - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers, Seattle Battle to 1-1 Draw at Centurylink Field Thursday Night - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo FC & Kroger to Offer Drive-Thru Flu Shots December 5 at BBVA Stadium
- Dynamo Charities to Host Holiday Food Drive at BBVA Stadium Saturday
- Houston Dynamo Football Club and Houston Dash Unveil New Club Initiatives, Brand Identity and Primary Badges
- Four Houston Dynamo Players Report for International Duty
- Houston Dynamo Re-Sign Defender Zarek Valentin