Wildcats End Trade Period Adding Two Defensemen: McIsaac and MacLellan
MONCTON N.B. - The Moncton Wildcats have acquired defenseman Jared McIsaac from the Halifax Mooseheads in exchange for a third round pick in 2020, a fifth round pick in 2021 as well as a first and third round pick in 2022.
Jared will join the Wildcats after spending four seasons with the Mooseheads. Born in Truro NS, McIsaac was drafted second overall in the 2016 QMJHL Entry Draft and played in his home province for 180 regular season games, registering 29 goals and 114 assists for a total of 143 points to date.
During his first season in the QMJHL he was named defensive rookie of the year, and has continued to impress since then. Last season he was part of the Mooseheads roster for their Memorial Cup run, and although did not have the outcome they wanted, McIsaac had an outstanding season. Suffering from a shoulder injury at the time, he was still able to finish the regular season second among all defenseman in scoring with 62 points in 53 games and was named to the QMJHL Second All-Star Team.
Jared missed the first half of this season in Halifax recovering from shoulder surgery and returned to the lineup just before the Christmas break, playing three games.
He was most recently on the ice as part of team Canada at the 2019 World Junior Hockey Championship in Ostrava, Czech Republic taking home the gold medal in yesterday's game.
"We are very excited to add world caliber defenseman to our group, said Director of Hockey Operations, Ritchie Thibeau. "Jared is a proven playoff performer and with both international and Memorial Cup experience he will be a valuable asset to our blueline."
Drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in 2018, 36th overall, the 19-year-old will bring a veteran presence and solidify the blueline, he is a shutdown defender who can play at both ends of the ice and we look forward to welcoming him to Moncton.
MONCTON N.B. - The Moncton Wildcats have acquired defenseman Ryan MacLellan from the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies in exchange for a seventh round pick in the 2020 QMJHL Entry Draft.
The 19-year-old from Antigonish N.S. was drafted in 2016 by the Cape Breton Eagles, 67th overall and since then has played for both the Acadie-Bathurst Titan and Rouyn-Noranda Huskies. To date he has played in 117 QMJHL regular season games.
Last season Ryan was part of the Memorial Cup Championship team with the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies and will be able to bring that playoff experience and knowledge with him to Moncton.
"Ryan will bring depth and great experience to our defense core, having won the Memorial Cup last season, we look forward to welcoming him to Moncton." Said Director of Hockey Operations, Ritchie Thibeau
During the 2016-2017 season he was also a member of the Cape Breton West Islanders, winning the Telus Cup with current Wildcats Jacob Hudson, Sean Stewart and Jacob Stewart so will be among familiar teammates here in Moncton.
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from January 6, 2020
- QMJHL Team of the Week Named for Week 15 - QMJHL
- Wildcats Add Defenseman Jared McIsaac to the Blueline - Moncton Wildcats
- Wildcats End Trade Period Adding Two Defensemen: McIsaac and MacLellan - Moncton Wildcats
- Mooseheads Acquire Multiple Draft Picks for McIsaac - Halifax Mooseheads
- Wildcats Add Ryan MacLellan from Rouyn-Noranda - Moncton Wildcats
- Eagles Acquire Tyler Hinam in Trade with Rouyn-Noranda - Cape Breton Eagles
- Mooseheads Acquire Forward Alexandre David from Acadie-Bathurst - Halifax Mooseheads
- Mooseheads Acquire Multiple Draft Picks for Lavoie - Halifax Mooseheads
- Kevin Mandolese Named Ultramar Player of the Week for Week 15 - QMJHL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.