Kevin Mandolese Named Ultramar Player of the Week for Week 15
January 6, 2020 - Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) News Release
Boucherville, QC - The initial Ultramar Player of the Week for 2020 is Cape Breton Eagles goaltender Kevin Mandolese. In three home games, the 19-year-old native of Blainville, Quebec went a perfect 3-0 with a GAA of 0.97, a .968% save percentage and a pair of shutouts to help the Eagles remain in the hunt for top seed of the Maritimes Division.
On Tuesday afternoon, Mandolese gave the New Year's Eve crowd reason to celebrate early by steering aside all 32 shots he faced in a 4-0 victory over the Charlottetown Islanders. For the fourth-year veteran, who was named the game's second star, it was his first shutout of the campaign.
On Friday night, Mandolese survived a furious third-period barrage by the Acadie-Bathurst Titan before emerging on the right side of a 4-3 shootout decision. In earning his 12th win of the season, Mandolese stopped 27 shots in regulation and overtime as well as all three shooters in the shootout.
It would not take long for Mandolese to register his second shutout of the year. That would take place on Saturday night when he made 31 saves in a 5-0 triumph over the Moncton Wildcats. On this occasion, he would be named the game's first star while running his personal win streak to five games. Meanwhile, the Eagles made it six games with at least one point earned.
Mandolese, who was also named Goaltender of the Month for December last week, sports a 13-6-0-0 record this season. His 2.38 GAA and .919% save percentage, both career bests, place him second in the QMJHL in both categories. The thirteenth overall choice by Cape Breton at the 2016 QMJHL Draft, Mandolese was a sixth-round selection of the Ottawa Senators at the 2018 NHL Entry Draft.
2019-2020 Ultramar Player of the Week:
Week 1 | Sept. 19 - Sept. 22: Pierrick Dubé (Remparts | Quebec)
Week 2 | Sept. 23 - Sept. 29: Antoine Coulombe (Cataractes | Shawinigan)
Week 3 | Sept. 30 - Oct. 6: Ryan Francis (Eagles | Cape Breton)
Week 4 | Oct. 7 - Oct. 13: Xavier Simoneau (Voltigeurs | Drummondville)
Week 5 | Oct. 14 - Oct. 20: Samuel Poulin (Phoenix | Sherbrooke)
Week 6 | Oct. 21 - Oct. 27: Nicolas Ouellet (Foreurs | Val-d'Or)
Week 7 | Oct. 28 - Nov. 3: Cédric Paré (Océanic | Rimouski)
Week 8 | Nov. 4 - Nov. 10: Alex-Olivier Voyer (Phoenix | Sherbrooke)
Week 9 | Nov. 11 - Nov. 17: Mavrik Bourque (Cataractes | Shawinigan)
Week 10 | Nov. 18 - Nov. 24: Nikolas Hurtubise (Tigres | Victoriaville)
Week 11 | Nov. 25 - Dec. 1: Maxim Trépanier (Mooseheads | Halifax)
Week 12 | Dec. 2 - Dec. 8: Alexis LafreniÃ¨re (Océanic | Rimouski)
Week 13 | Dec. 9 - Dec. 15: Matthew Welsh (Islanders | Charlottetown)
Week 14 | Dec. 28 - Dec. 30: Antoine Demers (Armada | Blainville-Boisbriand)
Week 15 | Dec. 31 - Jan. 5: Kevin Mandolese (Eagles | Cape Breton)
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from January 6, 2020
- QMJHL Team of the Week Named for Week 15 - QMJHL
- Wildcats Add Defenseman Jared McIsaac to the Blueline - Moncton Wildcats
- Wildcats End Trade Period Adding Two Defensemen: McIsaac and MacLellan - Moncton Wildcats
- Mooseheads Acquire Multiple Draft Picks for McIsaac - Halifax Mooseheads
- Wildcats Add Ryan MacLellan from Rouyn-Noranda - Moncton Wildcats
- Eagles Acquire Tyler Hinam in Trade with Rouyn-Noranda - Cape Breton Eagles
- Mooseheads Acquire Forward Alexandre David from Acadie-Bathurst - Halifax Mooseheads
- Mooseheads Acquire Multiple Draft Picks for Lavoie - Halifax Mooseheads
- Kevin Mandolese Named Ultramar Player of the Week for Week 15 - QMJHL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.