Whitecaps FC Sign WFC2 Forward Levonte Johnson to Fourth MLS Short-Term Agreement
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Tuesday that the club has signed Whitecaps FC 2 (WFC2) forward Levonte Johnson to an MLS short-term agreement for Wednesday's Canadian Championship Final against CF Montréal, as well as Saturday's MLS regular season game against FC Cincinnati.
This marks Johnson's fourth of a possible four 2023 MLS short-term agreements with the first team. Johnson's first call-up came in March for the club's road match against Real C.D. España in Concacaf Champions League action, while his second came last month for the club's Canadian Championship quarterfinal match at York United FC. The native of Brampton, Ontario made his first team debut as a second half substitute and scored in the 88th minute - the club's second MLS NEXT Pro product to score on his first team debut following Simon Becher in 2022. Johnson's third call-up saw him make his MLS debut off the bench in the club's away match against St. Louis CITY SC on May 27.
Whitecaps FC forward Levonte Johnson
Spent 2023 preseason with Whitecaps FC first team, making four appearances
Scored on first team debut against York United FC on May 10
Leads Whitecaps FC 2 in goals this season with five
Johnson, 23, was selected 29th overall by Whitecaps FC in the 2023 MLS SuperDraft from Syracuse University and spent the entire preseason with the 'Caps first team, making four appearances. In February, the native of Brampton, Ontario signed with WFC2 and has gone on to start all nine of his appearances for the side, leading the team in goals with five while also registering an assist.
Johnson scored 11 goals and added six assists across 25 starts for Syracuse this past season, helping the side win the NCAA Division I National Championship. Johnson was one of three MAC Hermann Trophy finalists and was named to the United Soccer Coaches First Team All-America, All-ACC First Team, and All-South Region First Team.
Prior to joining Syracuse, Johnson recorded nine goals, eight assists in 20 starts and 22 appearances with Seattle University in 2021. Johnston previously spent time with Salt Lake Community College in his sophomore year, starting 16 of his 18 appearances and recording 11 goals as well as 10 assists. In his freshman year, the forward added 10 goals and four assists for Eastern Florida State College.
In addition, Johnson also played for Portland Timbers U-23 in USL League Two in 2021, tallying a goal in seven appearances.
Johnson becomes the first WFC2 player to sign four MLS short-term agreements with the first team this season.
TRANSACTION: On June 6, 2023, Whitecaps FC sign forward Levonte Johnson to an MLS short-term agreement.
Weight: 175 pounds
Date of Birth: March 15, 1999 in Brampton, Ontario
Hometown: Brampton, Ontario
University: Syracuse University, Seattle University, Salt Lake Community College, Eastern Florida College
High School: David Suzuki Secondary School
Former Club: Portland Timbers U-23
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 6, 2023
- FC Cincinnati Advance to U.S. Open Cup Semifinals with 3-1 Win Over Pittsburgh Riverhounds - FC Cincinnati
- Houston Dynamo FC Put Out the Fire in Chicago to Advance to the U.S. Open Cup Semifinals - Houston Dynamo FC
- Dignity Health Sports Park and the LA Galaxy Unveil the Venue's 20th Anniversary Mark - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Sign WFC2 Forward Levonte Johnson to Fourth MLS Short-Term Agreement - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Inter Miami CF to Face Birmingham Legion FC this Wednesday in the U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal to Play Canadian Championship Final Wednesday in Vancouver - Club de Foot Montreal
- U-13 Academy Class Visits Mercy Health Training Center for Signing Event - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Host LA Galaxy this Wednesday in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Los Angeles FC - Atlanta United FC
- The Pitch (Matchdays 18): Top Things to Watch in MLS this Week - MLS
- Portland Timbers, Thorns FC Host Inaugural 3v3 Tournament Presented by Providence - Portland Timbers
- New York City Football Club Defender Thiago Martins Undergoes Knee Scope Procedure - New York City FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Announces International Callups Ahead of 2023 Concacaf Nations League Finals - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF Honors Loved Ones of Players and Staff on Drive out Cancer Night Presented by AutoNation - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - Chicago Fire FC
- Róbert Thorkelsson Called up by Iceland's U21 Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich at BC Place Renamed Vancouver Smoked Meat Sandwich for Canadian Championship Final - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: June 6, 2023 - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Update - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Sign Midfielder Sebastian Berhalter to a New Contract Through 2025
- Whitecaps FC Roster Update in Advance of MLS Deadline to Exercise Player Contract Options
- Hernandez Gray Earns First Call-Up to Canada WNT from Girls Elite Academy
- Whitecaps FC Roster Updates from First Team and WFC2
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Announce 2024 Roster Updates