CF Montréal to Play Canadian Championship Final Wednesday in Vancouver
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - For the third time in five years, CF Montréal will contest a Canadian Championship final to crown the best soccer team in Canada.
After defeating Vaughan FC in the preliminary round, Toronto FC in the quarterfinals and Forge FC in the semifinals, the Montrealers will face Vancouver Whitecaps FC this Wednesday at BC Place at 10pm (OneSoccer, BPM Sports, TSN 690) for the national title and a place in the 2024 Concacaf Champions Cup as Canada's representative.
The Bleu-blanc-noir will be returning to the west coast for the first time since a 5-0 regular-season defeat suffered on April 1. The Montrealers ended the game a man short following the ejection of Rudy Camacho, and lost Samuel Piette to injury.
Since joining MLS in 2012, CF Montréal has a 2-3-3 record against the Whitecaps in the Canadian Championship with a -2 goal differential and a 0-3-1 record at BC Place. This will also be the third-ever Vancouver-Montreal final since 2012. Montreal came out on top in 2013 (2-2 on aggregate but winning on away goals) in a home-and-away tie, before Vancouver got revenge in 2015 (4-2 on aggregate), lifting the Voyageurs Cup in front of its home fans at BC Place.
The Whitecaps, meanwhile, benefited from an abridged route to the final thanks to their status as 2022 defending champions, facing exclusively Canadian Premier League clubs thus far. Vancouver entered the tournament in the quarterfinals, beating York United 4-1, before comfortably dispatching regional rivals, Pacific FC, 3-0 in the semifinals. Like Montreal, the Whitecaps have conceded just one goal so far in the competition.
Since the first edition of the tournament in 2008, Montreal has won the title five times (2008, 2013, 2014, 2019 and 2021) and finished runner-up on two other occasions (2015 and 2017).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 6, 2023
- FC Cincinnati Advance to U.S. Open Cup Semifinals with 3-1 Win Over Pittsburgh Riverhounds - FC Cincinnati
- Houston Dynamo FC Put Out the Fire in Chicago to Advance to the U.S. Open Cup Semifinals - Houston Dynamo FC
- Dignity Health Sports Park and the LA Galaxy Unveil the Venue's 20th Anniversary Mark - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Sign WFC2 Forward Levonte Johnson to Fourth MLS Short-Term Agreement - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Inter Miami CF to Face Birmingham Legion FC this Wednesday in the U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal to Play Canadian Championship Final Wednesday in Vancouver - Club de Foot Montreal
- U-13 Academy Class Visits Mercy Health Training Center for Signing Event - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Host LA Galaxy this Wednesday in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Los Angeles FC - Atlanta United FC
- The Pitch (Matchdays 18): Top Things to Watch in MLS this Week - MLS
- Portland Timbers, Thorns FC Host Inaugural 3v3 Tournament Presented by Providence - Portland Timbers
- New York City Football Club Defender Thiago Martins Undergoes Knee Scope Procedure - New York City FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Announces International Callups Ahead of 2023 Concacaf Nations League Finals - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF Honors Loved Ones of Players and Staff on Drive out Cancer Night Presented by AutoNation - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - Chicago Fire FC
- Róbert Thorkelsson Called up by Iceland's U21 Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich at BC Place Renamed Vancouver Smoked Meat Sandwich for Canadian Championship Final - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: June 6, 2023 - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Update - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club de Foot Montreal Stories
- Fernando Álvarez Called up by Colombia U23 Team
- Three CF Montréal Academy Players to Train in Bologna
- CF Montréal Exercises Options on Four Players for the 2024 Season
- Contract Extension Announced for Forward Sunusi Ibrahim
- The Montreal Impact Foundation Launches Second Phase of Its Multisport Mini-Field Project